9. Gratitude - (2)

Aanya

We entered the dining hall, a spacious area that seemed to be a combination of two large rooms. The tables were paired with four metal dining chairs, and the hall was filled with elderly people eagerly waiting for their meals. 

Each table had steel plates arranged in front of them, ready to be filled with food. The system in place was table service, rather than a buffet, creating a sense of order and anticipation. 

As I looked around, taking in the atmosphere, an uncle approached from behind and handed me a vessel filled with aromatic kheer, an Indian rice pudding.

My mouth watered at the delightful scent wafting from the vessel. Glancing to my right, I noticed Abhinav also holding a vessel filled with rice.

Taking in the scene, I realized that several volunteers were poised and ready to serve the food. One uncle informed Abhinav that he should go first, as the meal had been prepared using the ration that he had donated

 A surge of pride swelled within me, knowing that Abhinav's contribution had made a difference.

 Abhinav stepped forward and began serving the food to the eagerly awaiting diners. I followed suit, filling small bowls with the delectable kheer. As I moved from table to table, serving the residents, I was met with warm smiles and expressions of gratitude

 Each person I served expressed their thanks for providing them with a nourishing meal.

The menu for the day consisted of rice, two types of daal (lentil curry), mixed veg, and the kheer for dessert. We served the food in two batches, ensuring that everyone had a chance to enjoy a satisfying meal. By the time the third batch arrived, only a few people remained in the hall.

Despite the physical exertion, a sense of fulfillment washed over me. The sight of the elderly residents enjoying their meals, the gratitude in their eyes, and the knowledge that I had played a small role in brightening their day brought a deep sense of contentment to my heart.

 It was in these moments of selfless service that I understood the true meaning of compassion and the impact that a small act of kindness can have on the lives of others.

I stood in the corner of the dining hall, observing the diligent cleaners as they prepared the tables for the arrival of the third batch of diners. It was then that I noticed Ms. Geeta walking towards me, her eyes filled with concern.

"Mr. Vyas informed me that you didn't have breakfast this morning. You must be hungry," she said, her tone laced with a hint of playfulness that only added to my embarrassment.

It was astonishing that he had remembered such a small detail about me.

With a gentle smile, she added, "Let's get you some food." I followed her to a nearby table and took a seat. As I looked across the table, I saw the familiar faces of the two elderly women I had met earlier in the day.

 Wanting to ease my guilt from the morning, I asked their names, finally realizing that I had not taken the time to learn them before. The lady who had held my hand in the study room introduced herself as Aasha, and the other grandma introduced herself as Sheela.

From my vantage point, I could also see Abhinav engaged in conversation with the manager, Rakesh, and an elderly gentleman.

His expression was once again blank as if the emotions he had shown earlier were just a fleeting glimpse.

 He appeared slightly exhausted from the day's activities, and I couldn't help but feel a pang of concern for him. Our eyes met briefly, and I quickly averted my gaze.