11. Infuriating Girl

Dedicated to Shall909. Because of you I continued this story once again.

I'm always scared to say how I really feel.
No one really wants to hear "It's getting worse."
Everyone wants to hear "It's finally better."

But what if it isn't.....

What if I'm lying?

— Unknown

A Surprise POV

I awoke in the dimly lit room, grateful that the thick drapes still shielded the daylight. My head throbbed with an ache that ebbed and flowed like a cold tide. Squinting, I found my mouth dry and sticky, a telltale sign of dehydration.

Last night's whiskey aroma lingered in the air, intoxicating then and nauseating now. I thought a painkiller might offer some relief. I tried to open my heavy eyelids, only to be overwhelmed by the brightness, retreating back under the duvet.

But movement beside me drew my attention. I cautiously opened my eyes again and adjusted to the light by rubbing them with my hand. There lay a very naked back, a complete stranger to me.

Who was she, and what was she doing in my bed?

I swung my bare feet to the cold floor, the room spinning briefly before steadying. I steadied myself by leaning against the nearby wall.

Why did I drink so excessively?

I glanced at the girl again, memories of the previous night flooding back, intensifying the throbbing in my head. This wasn't supposed to happen.

It was just a one-night stand, and the intimacy I felt then had nothing to do with waking up next to her. I decided to deal with her later when my mind would be more stable.

With my head still pounding, I made my way to the bathroom. Splashing cold water on my face offered a brief respite. In the mirror, I saw my puffy, red eyes and disheveled hair, barely recognizing the person staring back at me.

I opened the cabinet door, hoping to find painkillers to ease my headache. I stepped into the shower, the hot water soothing my sore muscles, providing a moment of relief. The hot shower helped, and when I caught my reflection in the mirror again, I looked somewhat more human.

I made my way to the living room, seeking to wet my dry throat with a glass of water when the sound of the doorbell interrupted my solitude.

Right now, I had no desire to deal with any human.

Taking slow sips from the glass, I reluctantly headed towards the door to open it.

The man standing at the threshold wore a perpetual scowl on his face. His well-groomed mustache was a constant feature of his stern countenance. In his mid-fifties, faint wrinkles graced his face.

"Just the person I was missing," I said, my tone dripping with sarcasm.

"Young Master," he greeted me formally, as he always did.

And just like that, he managed to worsen my already sour mood.

I left the door ajar for him to enter and closed it behind him. Taking a seat on the sofa, I found him standing directly in front of me.

He was still wearing that black suit with a white shirt and vest. It was an eyesore. I often wondered how many identical suits, or should I say uniforms, he owned.

"Why are you here?" I asked, irritation seeping into my voice.

"Where were you last night?" he inquired, maintaining his formal tone.