14. Talk You Down

The hardest lesson a young person has to learn in their twenties is:

You are not the main character in everybody's story,
You are the main character in your own.

—Halsey

Aanya

Suppressing our anger demands an enormous amount of energy, especially when it's simmering within, with no outlet to cool it down.

What should one do in such a moment of turmoil?

Should we let it out, and allow it to explode? But what if our fury unleashes and hurts someone unintentionally? Because at the breaking point, words that escape from one's mouth are always harsher than their anticipation.

Therefore, how we manage our anger becomes vital, finding a way to release it safely without causing harm.

On that day, I swallowed my anger, a bitter pill that stuck in my throat. His behavior, the venomous look in his eyes when he uttered those words etched itself deeply into my memory. How could I forget that?

And in a moment of rage, I did something foolish—I sent those flowers and that note.

I knew it was wrong, but he deserved it.

It was a Saturday, a day that should have been spent at the rude man's house, but he had called it off, leaving me to savor my hot coffee in the comfort of my bed. The best way to tackle anger was physical activity, so I immersed myself in household chores, from laundry to cleaning the bathroom.

I tried to distract myself from the guilt of the note. Seeking inner peace, I hoped to find solace, but life had other plans as my periods made an unwelcome entrance, bringing along agonizing cramps.

Perhaps that explained the mood swings of the past week—I was PMSing.

Bloody hormones!

Only the comforting warmth of coffee kept me sane amid the cramps. Fortunately, Saturdays offered a day of respite, allowing me to relax and indulge in a movie or some anime. However, my peace was short-lived when my phone began to ring, Satyam's name flashing on the screen.

Oh no.

This phone call couldn't mean anything good. Why was he calling?

Had Abhinav changed his mind?

Or worse, had they received my nature-friendly gifts?

Taking a deep breath, I answered, trying to keep my composure. "Hello?"

"Aanya, where are you?" Satyam's voice was hushed.

"Home?" My response came out as a hesitant question.

"Why aren't you here?" His whisper carried a hint of frustration.

It seemed he had forgotten what transpired just two days ago. "Your boss told me not to come, remember?" I gently reminded him.

"Both of you will drive me crazy," he sighed exasperatedly. "And what in the hell have you sent here, and that note? The boss is furious right now."

I couldn't help it—I burst into giggles. I simply wanted to see Mr. Rude's reaction upon receiving the note.

"This is not funny, Aanya," Satyam chided. It may not have been funny for him, but it was for me. "Are you talking to her?" My heart nearly leaped out of my chest as Mr. Rude's voice echoed from behind.

A muffled sound preceded his next words. "Tell her, I want her here by evening." His dark, brooding voice sent shivers down my spine. It wasn't a request; it was an order.