21. Wish You Were Here

I suggest you all to reread chapter 20 before reading this one, if you don't want to reread whole story again. It will give you an insight to the story as there has been some changes. (I hope, you guys invest your time and reread this story again though.)

Aanya

Waiting for my answer?

My answer was clearly written all over my face. He couldn't just barge into the room and demand to sleep with me after whatever happened between us in the morning.

"Go back to your room, Abhinav," I asserted, finding it hard to believe that he could act as though nothing had happened, while I was anything but nonchalant like him.

I wasn't good at pretending.

Show your vulnerability. Find your safe place. As those words said by Professor came to mind, I shut them instantly.

In just two long strides, he positioned himself in front of me again, causing my heart to race in my chest as he held my gaze. "Only if you are coming with me," he stated.

I pressed my lips together, staring at him as if he were crazy.

His behavior was quite outrageous.

His words hung in the air, waiting for a response that I wasn't ready to give. My emotions were in turmoil, and I didn't know how to navigate this situation. My heart and mind were at odds, and the fear of vulnerability kept me from speaking my truth.

At that moment, I felt like a ship lost at sea, unsure of which direction to sail. His presence was unsettling.....but somewhat comforting at the same time, like the calm before a storm. I wanted to find my safe place, but I was afraid to open up and expose my vulnerabilities.

I opened my mouth, then hesitated, contemplating the words that were about to escape.

The way my body reacted to him, I wasn't sure how long I could remain steadfast on my weak knees. Abhinav patiently awaited my response but when I didn't give him any, he gracefully moved towards the bed.

I watched him as he settled onto the mattress, leaning against the headboard, before finally turning his attention back to me. "Come. We need to sleep," he stated, patting the empty space beside him. "You see, I have a long day ahead tomorrow."

I glared at him, utterly speechless. "You can't be serious right now."

He raised his eyebrows. "Do I look like I'm joking?"

"Abhinav... go back to your room."

"Technically, this is also my room, sugar."

My hands curled into fists. As much as I wanted to hit him with something hard, I resisted the impulse and took a long, deep breath. "Okay then," I replied, "you can sleep here." He frowned. "I will sleep in the living room."

Silently, I turned around and started walking. "Are you really going to this extent... just to avoid me?" he asked.

Feeling a bit flustered, I responded, "Why would I avoid you?" I tried to sound decisive as if I hadn't been caught.

"After whatever happened in the morning......." He trailed off, leaving the unspoken words hanging between us.

"It's better for both of us to stay away from each other," I responded, taking another step forward.

I heard some shuffling, and the next second, he stood in front of me. My lips parted in a soft inhale as he stared down at me, the lines around his mouth taut.

His eyes searched mine before he spoke. "Are you scared of me, sugar?" he asked. "I sense a hesitation in you, as if being in close proximity with me makes you uneasy."