Chapter 6

Aelin

I'm not sure what woke me up, but something did. I keep my eyes closed and breathing even as I listen. Something in the air changes and I hear the footsteps. Someone is walking to something near me. Where am I?

Nehemia! Someone is walking to Nehemia. No I will not let her die like her namesake.

I dislocate my shoulder and elbow yet again and I get out of the shackles. Once out I relocate my joints and then I run past the people in the room, I notice a knife on a hilt and I grab it, the owner doesn't notice me. None of them do. Fools.

I'm running faster than should be possible in this body. I've done it once before, when I was to late to save another Nehemia. Never again.

I reach my daughter within seconds of my first movement. I can barely see through the blind rage so I let myself over to the 'killing calm'. The dagger I stole is hidden in my waist, I could just use the suit, but I need a backup plan if things go south.

In front of the sleeping body of my chained daughter I snarl at the person in front of me. Illyrian with 7 syphons. Azriel or Cassian, but the dagger I stole is Azriel's, so this is Cassian then. He looks at me in confusion and I use it as a distraction, roundhouse kicking him in the head.

I close the kick and run. I head towards the wall and us it to launch myself twisting through the air before landing on the male's shoulders, my legs on either side of his head. I transition from the flip flawlessly, using my momentum to help as I twist my hips and cross my legs, pulling the Illyrian war commander to the ground and elbowing him in the head before getting up.

As I stand I keep my back to Nehemia and watch Cassian. I see someone move from the corner of my eye and, not willing to put my daughters safety up to chance I throw a warning dagger. It won't hit anyone, just in case it's Elain, but it will make warn them all not to move when I can't see them.

I see the person go rigid and frown. I look towards the target and it was Rhysand. Well shit, now I'm in trouble, hopefully everyone puts it down to adrenaline and not a threat to Rhys. I turn back to Cassian and he's limp. I swear colourfully under my breath. Everybody still seems shocked from the dagger and I cautiously make my way to check the Illyrians pulse. You never know if you accidentally kill someone.

He's still breathing though so he should be fine. As I think this, he groans and sits up. Okay, so definitely alive.

"That's my dagger!?" I hear the cry of shock and turn to look at Azriel who seems to have been standing in the shadows. I shouldn't have been able to notice him. Oh well, you get used to it when Lorcan and Elide are lovers in the same castle as Manon. That's actually pretty funny to watch if I'm being honest.

I see heads turn my way and get snapped out of my thoughts.

"How did you-?" It's Rhysand this time. I'm pretty certain by now that they were simply sending Cassian to wake my sister up. Oopsies. I probably over reacted quite a bit, but given my past you can't really blame me and at least I didn't kill anyone.

"Don't send a male to wake up a girl whose been shackled to the wall in such a prone position." I snarl and I see the looks of shock and horror that crosses their faces as they seem to realise what I thought was happening. They probably aren't think the right thing but oh well.

I check to my daughter and she's still asleep. Not pretending, actually asleep. I glare and walk to Cassian who's still trying to shake off the concussion I gave him. I feel everyone tensing up and just roll my eyes, morons.

I grab one of his ugly, unadorned daggers and walk back towards Nehemia. As I do, I flip the dagger in my hand and weigh it. It might be ugly, but it is practical so all can be forgiven.

I pause in front of my daughter and glare at her sleeping figure again. I bring the knife to her throat and she doesn't wake. I move the dagger and slice her cheek, finally waking her up.

"What was that for?!" She asks incredulously and I just roll my eyes again chucking the dagger back to Cassian and walking to my wooden chains. I dislocate my joints and reshackle myself before relocating them for the fourth time in around 7 hours.

"You, just let a male approach you whilst vulnerable. You let two potential enemies engage in battle directly in front of you. And you let someone hold a dagger to your throat." I reply pointedly. "What the rutting hell is wrong with you?"

The horror and shock on her face confirms my suspicions. "Never mind that, I'm sure it wasn't your fault. Now we should probably wait for our captors to ask whichever questions they have."

We both look expectantly to the Night Court and roll our eyes when they are still in shock. I seem to be doing a lot of that today. We decide to just wait for them to bring themselves out of their stupor.

918 Words