Chapter 11

Aelin

I stalk to our room, my daughter following cautiously behind me and it broke my heart when I first saw that expression on her face. The expression of someone who's not entirely sure whether they're safe with the people they love. It's an expression that I've seen apon plenty of faces through my childhood, whether it was when I had no control over my power in the palace when I was 8, or when I was the most dangerous assassin in the guild when I was 16. 

I had never once seen on the faces of those in my court though, and one that I had hoped I would never see on the face of my beloved Nehemia. I think I'm going to cry if I have to see that look on her face any longer.

As it happens though, I won't, because as I look back to Mia after closing the door behind us, she's now grinning ear-to-ear. I blink and then realise that she must have been acting. Of course, of course that makes sense. 

I breathe a sigh of relief and glare at her. "Please will you warn me if you're going to pretend to be terrified of me!" I insist, exasperated.

"Sorry. I just did what I thought would be suitable." She replies and I have to smile at her antics, so similar to my own.

"Okay, but that was an act. I'll play the protective older sister with some fighting skill and low self confidence. I will be able to fight with knives and daggers, but I'll be terrible everywhere else except for hand-to-hand combat." She nods and I continue to work through pur plan, talking both to her and to the shadows which I know from my sessions with Clementine and Astoria will be reporting to Azriel. "I don't think that the fae here have as strong senses as the ones at home. That'll be helpful for us. We won't have to fully hide any bonds and feelings, only make them less prominent. That'll be easy enough."

"Of course there is the problem of what'll be done with us."

"Not at all. Even if they don't all trust them, they still will send us to the Night Court. The other High Lords won't want to deal with us and Feyre will convince Rhys if need be." I hesitate and decide not to say anything more to my daughter.

"What's wrong?" She asks anyway and I huff a breathy laugh. I was the one who taught her to pick up on small details.

"Nothing. I just- Someone reminded me of someone I used to know." I say and she seems satisfied with the answer. She knows I'll tell her if it's going to impact her and she's willing to wait until I'm ready.

We sit there in a comfortable silence before I speak again.

"Shadows, would you be so kind as to let dear Azriel know I wish to speak with him and Elain? Thank you." Nehemia looks at me, eyebrow raised in question. The expression so similar to one Rowan had given me that I feel a wave nostalgia.

Before either of us could speak, my request is answered and the pair I had asked for appear in front of me.

"You called?" Asks Elain.

"Hmm, yes. So as the both of you know our truth and why we're lying, I would like to ask that you keep it secret for as long as possible until we get the chance for a grand entrance. Would that be alright?" Their faces are thoughtful at my proposal but both the male and female agree. The former with a shit-eating grin and the latter smirking mischievously.

They leave and I allow myself to fall asleep after my daughter. As I fall into a dreamland I feel my magic once more.

I walk through the halls of the assassins guild and get a strange feeling. I look down, I'm still in my bloodied suit from my last job. I frown at the tugging in my gut and continue walking. I'm on edge now.
I walk to the end of the hallway and I am about to turn to the staircase when I hear someone speaking.
"-'ll kill you if he finds out!" A voice hisses and immediately I recognise it as Wesley.
"I know, but I can't just stand by!" Argues a second. Sam. I feel a more insistent tugging now and decide to follow it into the room. Hiding in the shadows so well that not even Arobynn would be able to tell I was here I see the to men.
The look to be arguing about something in a notebook. Intrigued I continue to listen in, perhaps they're planning to overthrow Arobynn.
"Sam you can't.
I can't."  Wesley says and I realise that they won't go into detail.
"Can't what?" I ask as I step from the shadows. Instinctually they hide the paper and my suspicions are confirmed. 
"Celaena, what are you doing here?" Asks Sam and I realise something. They're both dead. They are supposed to be dead.
"No. What are you doing here?" I ask coldly.
"Celaena, calm down, we're just talking about a job." Wesley tries to convince me. I roll my eyes.
"Would the target be *#$^%*$& by any chance?" They look at me confused and I realise what's going to happen. Somehow I just know, and I know there is nothing I can do to stop it.
I slump to the floor and cry. Slowly, Sam and Wesley grow wounds. They grow back the wounds that killed them and I can only watch.

I open my eyes and check my mental barriers. They're still in tact and untouched. I reach out through the mating bond and send a warm caress. He'll know that I'm okay now.

I look up and see my sister being approached by a Peregryn. I launch myself between them, remembering my cover and acting accordingly.

"You don't touch her." I say simply and she nods.

"You are requested by the High Lords and Ladies in the main hall." She states and slips to wait outside as an escort. I take a deep breath and give a small smirk. Time to seize the day.

1031 Words