20. Without you

3 months later

It's been a while since I last saw Shoto. I still remember the day he got expelled as if it were yesterday.

I remember going to his house after it happened. His dad sent me away. He didn't respond to my calls or texts either. He was completely off the radar

I missed being around him. Sometimes I'm reminded of the day we kissed. I'll never forget it.

I just wish to see him one more time. Is that too much to ask?

I was sitting with Midoriya and his friends for lunch. Everyone wanted to become friends with me after what happened. They felt bad for me. I didn't need friends out of pity. I didn't need people to look at me and feel sorry for me. It only made things worse.

"Are you going to finish that?" Iida asked. "Sorry what?" I snapped out of my thoughts. "Your food is getting cold" he said. "Oh um.. yeah" I said and slowly started eating my food. "You're thinking about Todoroki aren't you?" Midoriya asked. I let out a sigh.

"He's a good guy" I started. "I never wanted things to end like this. He deserves to become a hero" I said. "How can you say all that after what he did" he said and looked at my arm. "I don't care about the scar. I can live with it. He wasn't aware of his actions" I said. "Are you sure about that or is that what he's claiming that happened. For all you know he did it on purpose and tried to blame it on your quirk" Uraraka said.

I couldn't stand these empty headed people. How could they question Shoto so much. He has saved their asses numerous times. They know better than anyone else that he's a good person.

"I heard about a fight a few years ago. Against a villain" I said as I sipped my drink. "Iida, Midoriya and Shoto" I spoke. Iida looked at me surprised. "I'll spare you guys the details cause I'm pretty sure you know them already" I said. Midoriya laughed nervously before trying to change the subject.

"Oh no one's allowed to know about it?" I acted clueless. "What a shame I just exposed it" I said and smiled friendly. "I remember a certain Todoroki helping your asses" I said. "Oh and how about a certain kidnapping of someone huh?" I said. "Didn't he help all of you again? Especially you Midoriya" I said disappointed. "He has been so good to all of you. Why would you doubt him" I said.

Midoriya looked at his food. He looked confused. "I just.. I don't know" he said and balled his fists. "Shoto has never been the one to purposely hurt others" he spoke. "But still what he did-" he started but I cut him off. "Wasn't on purpose" I said. "You guys are too busy trying to make him look like the bad guy when he's not. And until then I rather not sit with any of you" I said and got up.

"Y/n wait" Iida said but I already left.

———
1 week later

School has been boring and disappointing. Some people started believing in Shoto's innocence while others were still not convinced. I didn't care. I knew the truth.

I got inside the bus.

Were my eyes deceiving me?

Did I really see Shoto sitting on the bus?

Who else has half red and half white hair?

I hesitantly made my way to him. The seat next to him was empty. I sat down without saying anything. He didn't recognise me since he was too busy on his phone.

I cleared my throat.

He looked up.

Our eyes met.

I felt my heart skip a beat. His beautiful eyes were staring right into mine. "Y/n" he said. I smiled at him. "Long time no see" I said. He didn't smile back. In fact, he looked upset.

"Why are you on the bus?" I asked. "Doesn't matter" he replied. I crossed my arms. "I see you're still secretive about everything" I said. "At least it's better than lying" I commented.  I could see the irritation on his face. "Why are you sitting next to me, the bus is practically empty" he responded. "Wow there, you're starting to sound like a certain rude blond dude" I joked.

He didn't respond. He didn't seem interested in talking to me. "Where are you heading?" I asked. He let out a sigh. "Why are you talking to me?" he asked.  His question hurt. He acted as if we weren't close friends. It's true that we had some difficulties but questioning why I'm talking to him actually offended me. As if I didn't mean anything to him.

"It's ok you don't have to talk back. I'll stay quiet" I said back. I could see him feeling guilty. I knew he was going to doubt his actions for the rest of the day.   

"I wanted to see you" he finally said. I looked at him surprised. He wanted to see me?

"What?" I asked a little confused.

"I got on the bus, hoping I'd run into you" he said. "I know it's stupid" he added. I could see that he felt embarrassed. "Why did you ignore my calls and texts?" I asked. "I didn't. My father took my phone" he said. I felt the heat rise to my cheeks out of embarrassment.

"Y-Your what has what now??" I panicked. "Why? What did you text me?" he asked. "I... um.." I started and scratched the back of my head. My cheeks were the brightest shade of red at this point. "Nothing important" I awkwardly laughed.

He looked away.

I saw that the bus stopped in front of UC.

"I gotta go now" I said. "Will I see you again?" I asked.

"Who knows" I heard him say before I got off the bus.