27. Sudden occurrence

About 1 month later
I put my books in my bag and left the classroom. It was finally time to go home

"Hey y/n" Midoriya said and walked up to me. I turned around to face him. "Me and some other people are going to the arcade, want to join?" he asked. I usually visit Shoto after school and spend some time there at the hospital. However, maybe going to the arcade would help me clear my mind.

I balled my fists. "...No thank you" I said. I couldn't leave Shoto. I made a promise to myself that I would visit him every single day. His health condition has been pretty bad recently.

How was I supposed to take a day off from visiting him, knowing that there is a chance he might never wake up.

As I got on the bus to the hospital, I checked my phone. A message from Mina. "Hey girl, me and the others are going to the beach. Wanna join?" she had texted me.

"Sorry I'm busy" I texted back before putting my phone away. We were close to summer break. Everyone was out and having fun. I didn't care about any of that. My priority was to make sure Shoto was alright.

As I finally arrived, I made my way inside. "I'm here for-" I started but the administration lady cut me off. "Todoroki" she said. I nodded. "You really care about that boy don't you?" she asked. "I owe him a lot" I said before grabbing my visiting pass and making my way to his room.

It was empty.

My heart was beating faster than usual.

I saw a nurse walk by.

"Sorry ma'am what happened to the guy inside this room?" I asked. She looked at the door. "Room 71" she said and made her way to a computer. I followed her. "It says that he's currently in the middle of surgery" she said. I looked at her in shock.

Surgery?
Why would he suddenly need that?

"Does it state what it's for?" I asked her. "All I can read is major abdominal surgery" she said. My eyes widened. Did it have anything to do with where he got stabbed? I thought he already received surgery for that? Could it be that something went wrong?

"Can you tell me how long the surgery will take?" I asked her. "I'm afraid I can't do that. It depends on what needs to be done" she answered. I nodded. "You can wait in the waiting room" she said.

I waited for several hours. My eyes were starting to burn. I was hungry and cold. I looked at the time, 8pm. I haven't left my seat in at least 4 hours. I got up, damn my back was killing me. I stretched out my arms. Suddenly I heard footsteps and a few nurses pushing a bed my way. "I'm sorry ma'am could you step aside" one of the nurses requested. I made room for them and watched as they pushed the bed into Shoto's room.

They went outside and closed the door. "I'm sorry is it possible to get an update on his current situation?" I asked one the nurses. "You are?" she asked. "Y/n y/l/n, you can check me in the system. I have been visiting him for 3 months now" I said. She looked at me and hesitated. "I'll have to check your identity" she said. I verified who I was and she sat down with me in the waiting room. "I don't want to beat around the bush. He's not doing well. He apparently woke up today from a 3 month coma. As soon as he woke up, he felt pain. Especially in the abdominal region" she said.

That's where I had stabbed him with the sword...

I felt the feeling of guilt take over me. "He was rushed to the operating room almost immediately after. The doctors did their best but his body is weak. He's very weak. His heart beat has been very faint for quite some time now. The doctors are surprised that he is still alive" she said.

"Am I allowed to go inside?" I asked. "No, not for today. However, tomorrow you are free to visit him again" she said. I nodded and thanked her. I decided to grab my bag and leave.

——
The next day I went to visit the hospital again. I had a test today at school. My energy was drained. As I entered the hospital, the administration immediately verified my identity and I made my way to the elevator. I was very anxious and scared after what had happened yesterday. I prayed that he was alright.

As I arrived on the right floor, I made my way to his room. I knocked before entering. He was laying in bed with his eyes closed. I dreamed of the day that I would see his beautiful eyes again. I grabbed a chair and sat next to his bed. I held his hand.

"I had a test today" I spoke. "It went alright. It was harder than I had imagined. I couldn't focus that much to be honest. My mind keeps wandering off, thinking about you. Thinking about whether you're ok. Thinking about how much I miss you" I said. I tried to keep my tears in, but it was no use.

I silently sobbed next to his bed. "I just want you to wake up" I cried. "How much longer" I choked out. "How much longer do I have to bear with the fact that I am potentially the reason behind your death" I cried. "Please just-" I started. I let out a shaky breath. "Just let me know you're ok. I want to hold you in my arms. Apologise for everything I have done. Make sure you're safe and well. I will protect you from everything. I promise you" I said.

I suddenly felt him squeeze my hand.

My eyes widened.
My heart skipped a beat.
I forgot how to breath.

He slowly opened his eyes. The tears streamed down my face as I saw his beautiful eyes again. "Y-You're awake" I cried and held his face. He looked at me. "Why.. are you crying?" he softly asked me. I wiped my tears and looked at him.

"They're happy tears" I smiled at him. He didn't say anything back. I got closer to him.

"I missed you Shoto" I whispered while caressing his cheek.

He softly smiled at me before shutting his eyes again.