23. Surviving

I opened my eyes. What was that weird taste in my mouth? It tasted irony.

Blood.

I brought my hand onto my face. I was bleeding.

I looked up to see Shin. His back was facing me. Did he think he defeated me?

"I see you have survived" he spoke and turned around. "The damage that you did to yourself is quite bad" he added and grinned

"What did you do to me?" I asked.

"A better question is what did you do to yourself" he said.

I balled my fists. My body was to weak to get up yet I had to defeat him. There was no way that I was going to let him go.

"Once I'm done with you, I will go say hi to your friends. I hope they're not as pathetic as you" he said before laughing.

I had to get up.

"Come on, move" I muttered under my breath as I slowly got up. Shin looked at me surprised. "I see you're not done yet" he smiled.

"Don't worry, this will be a very quick and painless death" he said. I ran up to him. He was ready to block my attack, but I jumped in the air and attacked him from above. He looked at me surprised. I grabbed him by his hair and slammed him onto the ground.

I activated my quirk.

It worked.

I controlled his mind. I made him refuse to fight back as I was attacking him. "H-How?" he asked in shock. "Don't underestimate me" I said before kicking him.

After a few more attacks, it looked like I did some serious damage. I might stand a chance against him.

He got up. I was still controlling him. Suddenly I felt my heart cramp. I clenched my pained heart and fell to my knees. What was happening?

"Did you really think that you were outsmarting me?" Shin asked and walk up to me. Why was my quirk not working anymore.

"Your quirk worked on me because you were able to surprise me. I couldn't predict your moves" he said before standing in front of me.

He pulled me up by my hair and looked at me. He smiled. "It's a shame that you have to end this way" he said. "We could have become friends if you weren't a hero" he added before lifting his left hand and making a fist.

Was this really it?

Was I going to die?

He could control my insides just by using his hands. The pain was unbearable. I felt like I was going to lose consciousness any second now.

"Any last words?" he asked.

——-

"Any last words?" he asked. I looked at him in shock. I tried to reactive my quirk but it was no use. I fell back. He towered over me with fire burning from his hand. I closed my eyes, not wanting to witness what was going to happen.

The flashback of my last fight with Shoto played inside my head.

I opened my eyes and grabbed Shin's hand. He looked at me in shock as I got myself out of his grip.

"I want to become a pro hero" I said and grabbed his arm. "No one will stand in my way" I said before sending him flying. His back hit a tree and he fell to the ground.

I ran up to him and wanted to attack him. To my surprise, he pulled out a sword. Luckily, I was fast enough to dodge it.

"I thought you wanted a fair match" I said before attacking him. "I don't play by rules" he grinned at me.

Physical fighting has never been my strength. I know how to use my quirk to a certain extent, but my weakness has always been fighting.

Ever since I didn't get excepted into UA, I felt weak and useless. I doubted myself and my own abilities. I know I can do so much more than I think.

Why was I so afraid?

What was I afraid of?

He grabbed my arm and swung his sword. I tried to dodge it, but I was too slow. He managed to make a cut on my arm. I flinched as I felt the stinging sensation on my arm.

I held my arm in pain as blood was dripping down. He made his way towards me again but this time I dodged him and managed to throw a punch at him.

There we were, a few feet away from each other. He wiped the blood off his lip. "You're a tough one I'll give you that" he said.

"You're not bad yourself" I said.

He grinned.

"But I think it's time to end this all" he said and activated his quirk. I dropped to the floor.

Why? Why was I not able to fight back? Isn't my quirk supposed to help me? I tried to activate it, but it was no use.

He held his hand up.

"You would have never been able to become a true hero" he said. "I'll have some fun before making all your insides explode" he said and held me in a chokehold. My breath hitched in my throat. This was it. My last few minutes alive.

"Farewell, y/n y/l/n" he said.

Suddenly it got really cold.

"Snow? During this time of the year?" Shin asked confused.

A huge block of ice appeared.

My eyes widened.

This quirk..

It could only be from one person.