Chapter 3; Frostbitten

My twt is @HadesTrades, I post updates on delays or reschedules there, follow to keep updated!

------

By the time the two reached Technoblade's house it was late into the night and Dream had already begun having to fight off a number of skeletons and zombies. Luckily Tommy hadn't come into any real danger, but he made sure to stay very close to Dream. He'd occasionally grasp the back of Dream's hoodie to keep from falling behind.

Tommy's toes burned from cold snow and he couldn't feel his cheeks or ears anymore. Lips growing blue along with his fingers. Tommy couldn't wait to be somewhere warm, and the numbness engulfing him made it hard to speak even.

Dream appreciated the silence, it was extremely rare when around Tommy.

Every now and then Dream urged Tommy to stay close so he wouldn't get hit by any mobs. Falling behind meant he might get picked off by one of the many giant spiders that reared their nasty heads in the dark. Or shot with an arrow in the back. Tommy was already in rough shape after the explosions earlier and Dream was aware of that. He'd purposefully not given the boy any time to rest either. A calculated tactic to force Tommy to rely on him.

Dream chopped down several zombie's with ease. His axe glowing with powerful enchantments that made mobs nothing more than a nuisance to him. Watching Dream pass through them was intimidating to say the least, Tommy himself having lived in fear of the creatures more than ever during his time in exile. Never having proper equipment didn't exactly help though.

Tommy appreciated having Dream around to protect him.

"Eyes down," Dream said suddenly and of course that only made Tommy look up and around. Dream was fast to react, reaching up to push Tommy's head back down so his eyes were on the ground, but it was too late.

Tommy's eyes locked with a pair of glowing lavender staring directly at him. A slender, tall, black figure loomed over the two. It's mouth suddenly tore open, letting out a noise that sounded like a scream through static.

"Get back!" Dream told Tommy quickly and Tommy scurried away, his lead being dropped to the ground, he put considerable distance between them as Dream leapt into the air and brought his axe down on the nightmarish creature.

Luckily that shifted its attention from Tommy to Dream, and Tommy just watched while he stayed out of the way. Dream had to chase the nimble creature down as it Flickered every which and way. Dream was able to connect a few hits every now and again until finally the damned thing dropped with one final hellish cry.

Tommy let out a relieved sigh. He opened his mouth to say something before a sound caught his attention from behind. The familiar hissing of a Creeper, and Tommy spun around.

"Tommy!"

"Dream!"

Dream grabbed the back of Tommy's shirt and threw the child back against the ground as they traded places. Dream's reflexes were unreal as he swapped his axe for his sword. He struck the Creeper and it flew back further than a normal sword could have accomplished.

From his hands Dream then summoned a bow and lined his shot. Unfortunately Dream had already been just a few seconds too late and though the creature was far, its explosion still caused Tommy pain. His body shook violently. Between the harsh elements tearing at him and the may wounds across his abused body, he wasn't feeling too hot.

Tommy coughed blood into his hand as Dream approached him, reaching down to help him up. Tommy struggled to even lean up from the snow. His body stiff and numb from the cold.

"Are you alright?" Dream asked. His voice sounded muffled, as though it were underwater. Tommy's vision was going in and out, darkening around the edges.

"Dream I..." Tommy's eyes rolled back and his vision faded out as he collapsed against the snow. Dream frowned down at the weak boy, giving a sigh. He lifted him up in his arms with ease. Tommy was tall for his age, but was slender and it made him light enough for Dream to carry effortlessly.

With Tommy in his arms however, it made it nearly impossible for Dream to defend himself. Luckily Techno's home was just in sight and Dream hurried along. He moved from the paths of the mobs that spawned nearby- Techno could really use to light the place up a little more but every time Dream mentioned something he shrugged it off.

"Techno!" Dream shouted from outside. He could see the man's figure in the attic window, walking about and it froze when he yelled out from below.

Dream dodged between two creepers, just far enough they didn't explode and he hopped up Techno's steps.

"Dream?" Techno asked from his window, having recognized the voice immediately. Usually the green man didn't show up unannounced so this was a little unusual.

What could he possible want?

"We could use some refuge for the night," Dream said loudly from the other side of the door, and Techno frowned at that. Unless is was Ghostbur or Philza he wasn't very thrilled to have visitors, let alone overnight guests.

Despite his better judgement, Technoblade opened the door and welcomed Dream in. He shut it quickly behind them before any unwanted creatures could enter. Techno's eyes however had caught the sight of Dream holding a battered half-dead looking Tommy, and it took him aback and he gave a nervous expression not sure what to say in response to. He knew Tommy had been exiled, but this just seemed very strange.

Why was Dream here?

Why did Tommy look like that?

Why were they out in the middle of the night roaming the snow biome?

All questions Techno couldn't be bothered to ask, but he was still mildly curious.

It was probably best to just stay out of it though. Things seemed to always be happening with the people of L'manberg and the Greater SMP that he just couldn't be bothered to try and keep up with. It was all too much for him. He'd done his part in trying to secure peace, and it had gotten him nothing but labelled as a villain.

"He uh, gonna be okay?" Techno laughed nervously and Dream nodded. The masked man set the boy down in front of Techno's fireplace, and then reached into a few of his chests. He was looking for something specific.

"Heh?!" Techno shouted, unpleased with Dream's behaviour. "You mind not ransacking my place the moment you get in here?"

"I just need a regeneration potion," Dream assured him and Technoblade furrowed his brow.

"Sure, sure. My home is your home," Technoblade said sarcastically with a scoff. He turned around and reached into the appropriate chest. Grabbing exactly what the man needed, he tossed it to Dream who caught it carefully between his gloved hands.

"Thanks. We'll leave in the morning," Dream reminded him again. Not asking, but telling Technoblade, which he didn't appreciate but somehow it seemed Dream always ended up getting his way.

Dream approached Tommy and set the young man's head in his lap, tilting it back to give him a better angle as he slowly poured the contents of the potion down Tommy's throat. Even if Tommy inhaled it, the potion wasn't like any normal liquid and every part of his body would begin to absorb it from the moment it passed his lips. So there was no risk of him choking.

The wounds across Tommy's body began to lighten in color. His fingers and toes gradually regained their fleshy tones rather than the deadening purple. Once the last of the potions contents were emptied, Tommy's eyes began to open.

------

A/N edited recently for improvements!