Chapter 7; Nurture vs. Nature

My twt is @HadesTrades, I post updates on delays or reschedules there, follow to keep updated!

------

Dream dug his heels harshly into the horse. Leaning low, he raced into the woods just behind Tommy. He had a lot of ground to cover. Tommy's horse was larger and faster but speed and brute strength meant nothing in comparison to experience. Dream knew how to control his stead, while Tommy was at the whim of the beast that was accepting vague direction from a boy that had no idea how to utilize the power given to him.

Tommy was ducking beneath branches that barely skimmed him. Nearly getting knocked off the mare when he dodged one of the trees thick and lengthy arms. A twig caught him and slashed his cheek open, leaving a trail of blood in its wake that ran across Tommy's cheek as the wind whipped past him.

Tommy was feeling pretty confident about the head start he'd gotten and wasn't too worried that Dream must be far enough off. He knew better than to feel safe yet though.

Directed his stead to the left and took a far leap over a steep ravine. Tommy hoped that'd help to shake Dream from his trail.

"Yeah!" Tommy celebrated loudly. He was grinning widely just before he heard the sound of hooves hitting the ground behind him and a jolt of fear ran through him. He hadn't expected Dream to catch up so quickly, and panic set in his chest. If Dream caught up to him, there'd be hell to pay.

"Go, go!" Tommy shouted frantically to his mare, glancing behind them. He saw Dream clear the ravine just barely. With Tommy in his sights, Dream leaned up from his place, risking his safety as he released the reins on his stallion.

Dream held onto his stallion with just his legs and tucked his feet hard against the creature in order to steady himself. He sat straight upright while aiming his crossbow that he'd already managed to load. He aimed it right at Tommy's horse, hitting her front knee and the mare let out a loud whiny that clearly communicated her pain. Dream ducked quickly beneath a branch before leaning straight up again and with another steady aim, his second flaming arrow pierced her hip.

That was enough for the mare. She violently bucked Tommy from her back and raced off into the woods, leaving him heaving against the ground.

The air was knocked from Tommy as he'd hit the ground. At the speed they'd been going it left his body in shock from the immense force of the collision and Tommy's eyes were wide as he attempted to simply breathe. He struggled to even take in a breath, lying still. Paralyzed for what felt like minutes before his lungs spasmed, allowing for him to inhale a sharp gasp.

Dream had pulled his stead to a abrupt halt when he saw Tommy fly from his horse and hit the ground with an audible thud. He walked the creature back around and left it to stand nearby. With the shape Tommy was in, Dream was in no rush. After hopping down from his horse he untied his mask and set it against the saddle atop its back. He approached the boy at a leisurely pace.

Despite Dream's cool demeanor however; he was seeing red.

"Tommy," Dream said, crouching in front of the struggling teen who was still just barely beginning to breathe again.

"You're alright," Dream told him firmly. "Get up."

Tommy couldn't think of anything more difficult than pulling himself up from the ground in that moment. Dream having removed his mask however meant to Tommy that the man wasn't going to accept anything less than immediate obedience.

"Get. Up," Dream demanded.

Tommy began to push himself off the ground with shaking arms. He was just barely beginning to get to his feet before Dream cruelly kicked Tommy's legs out from under him, and he landed against the ground again.