Chapter 19; Rivals

My twt is @HadesTrades, I post updates on delays or reschedules there, follow to keep updated!

CW; Mild gore,

Dream and Techno made it far enough out from the snow biome that they were just barely able to avoid the oncoming blizzard. Which Dream was grateful for. It would have been such a nuisance if they'd ended up behind because of the storm.

He wondered how Tommy was doing and if the boy was staying out of trouble while he was away. It seemed impossible for the kid to keep from stumbling into some dumb consequence whenever he strayed far from Dream's side. Tommy was too mischievous for his own good.

Dream chuckled softly under his breath as he thought of the kid and his inevitable antics.

He looked back at Techno and noticed the man following close behind. Wasn't exactly much for a conversational partner, but the air had been thick between them ever since they'd had that exchange before they left. Dream felt as though he should say something, perhaps address the topic from earlier to clear the air about it. Perhaps he could put Techno at ease; it wasn't as if Dream was hurting Tommy with no purpose.

"You know it's for his own good," Dream finally spoke up, and Techno looked over at him. He didn't know what Dream was on about at first, having been lost in his thoughts. When he realized they were back on the topic of Tommy however, he frowned.

"What is?" Techno asked, wanting to hear the answer from Dream himself. Get him to admit what exactly he'd been doing to Tommy. As if Techno needed any clearer of a picture at this point.

"Just, being stern. You know," Dream turned toward him while he spoke. "He's really stubborn. I've been protecting him, but he's pretty bad at listening."

"So, you just hit him to keep him in line? Dream, I think we both know that's absurd to try and justify," Techno stated. He crossed his arms over his chest as he tried not to become outwardly frustrated with Dream's train of thought on the matter.

"It's more like... When a parent spanks their kid, I guess," Dream explained, turning away from Technoblade again. "He's the kind of bratty kid that needs strict discipline, or he'll never learn. You saw how he was before."

"Dream, I suggest you stop talking. Let's just get this fight over with," Techno grit his teeth, shaking his head to himself. So that's how Dream was justifying it to himself? Disciplining a stubborn kid. Techno could scoff at that.

It wasn't discipline.

Techno didn't know anything about raising a child- admittedly- but he had a pretty good idea Dream didn't either. Discipline didn't involve tying a kid up with rope and making him trudge through ankle deep snow in nothing more than a raggedy t-shirt, jeans full of holes, and one shoe.

Discipline wasn't leaving Tommy to the point he was unconscious and covered in burns and lacerations, before finally helping him.

"You'd understand if you had to deal with him," Dream told Techno plainly.

Dream decided to scout ahead, and put some distance between himself and Techno. He didn't want to continue the conversation any more than Techno did at this point. The man clearly didn't get it. Tommy was a handful and a half. He required an iron fist and strict rules with harsh punishments for disobeying.

It was the only thing that worked.

Dream was still nice of course. When Tommy deserved it, he took good care of the boy. Especially as of recently. Tommy had been eager to follow orders, and rarely had any moments of defiance anymore. It was unfortunate that they had that exchange right before he left, and especially in front of Techno.