Chapter 8; Lessons

My twt is @HadesTrades, I post updates on delays or reschedules there, follow to keep updated!

------

Tommy's entire body hurt from head to toe, he ached everywhere. His face at first was burning but now was a dull continuous ache. He could feel his pulse through the swollen parts of his eye and cheek. His ribs concerned him the most, breathing was strenuous and he was making a strange sound with each breath. He attempted to stifle the raspiness in every exhale, but it was impossible.

His shoulders were easily the worst of it, but fortunately if he didn't move his arms the sharp pain would subside to be at least bearable.

The silence rang in his ears at first. Thick in the air, while Dream took him along their trip.

After the beating, Dream was gentle and aware of every move and strain he placed on Tommy's bloodied and bruising body. He helped the boy down from atop the horse once their journey with the beast was through with and they discarded the stallion back to the pastures that they'd finally travelled the length of.

Dream lifted Tommy in his arms- the boy at any other time had he been well enough would have protested greatly, but every inch of him radiated with a blazing pain that reminded him he barely had the strength to breathe at the moment. Let alone speak against the man who had put him in this condition.

Dream had summoned a boat for them, having already been prepared for the trip. He placed the boy against the hard wood. The way Dream handled Tommy now, reminded him of a man he once knew. A man that Tommy tried not to think of too frequently, because he had lost him long ago even before the man's life had been taken.

Tommy reclined as much as he could. Sitting up was far too painful, particularly on his ribs.

He wondered how long it would be before Dream finally gave him a healing potion. Or if he even would. Maybe Tommy deserved to hurt all over and take in Dream's warnings- no- reminders of what the world was for Tommy now.

Why had Tubbo betrayed him like this?

Tommy could barely wrap his brain around it. It was a train of thought he could hardly allow himself to go down most days. He wasted his time away mostly. Chopping down wood and gathering supplies he knew was just going to be destroyed anyway. Rebuilding a home of his own that never truly felt anything like home. But when he did stupid things like build a 'girlfriend' out of logs with the head of a pumpkin, or built enormous towers out of cobble or wood. It kept his mind away from the painful truth of his abandonment.

Tommy wanted to blame Dream.

He wanted to blame anyone other than Tubbo. At the end of the day though, his best friend had subjected him to this fate.

And none of the others came for him. No one joined him. No one helped him.

No one but Dream.

Tommy set his forehead on his knees, wrapping his arms around his legs- though it hurt his body tremendously- he couldn't help but curl in on himself and let the tears fall down his face freely. They dripped from his chin and his whole body shook while quiet sobs escaped him every now and again.

If Tommy had been in Tubbo's position, he'd have never done this to him.

They were like brothers. It was supposed to be him and Tubbo versus Dream. Yet Tubbo turned his back on Tommy. If Dream was supposed to be his enemy, then why was he the only one out here with Tommy?

Why was Dream the only one who ever consistently visited him?

Always.

Every day.