✧Chapter 18 - The Great Ping-Pong Scam

~Thalia's P.O.V.~

I am sitting on one of the chairs at the Asphalt Café, staring down my phone

I am sitting on one of the chairs at the Asphalt Café, staring down my phone. My geography class ended early and it is the only class I have by myself, so now I am sitting alone, waiting for the others to come. But at the moment, I don't care much about that, all I can think about is if I am ever gonna get that one damn phone call.

The dark screen of my phone was mocking me, never lighting up to show even a single notification. I was so focused on my phone that I didn't even realize the others had started sitting around the table.

"Thalia Zion Vega!" I hear someone yell my name and I snap my head up to see Ana, Andrè, Cat, and Beck staring at me.

"What?" I ask them in a dazed state.

"Are you okay?" André asks me.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. I was just waiting for a call." I tell them.

"One time my brother was waiting for a call from my cousin, but then he threw his phone into the toaster." Cat tells us another story and we all look at her with raised eyebrows, "Now he is only allowed to eat oatmeal after that." Cat continues.

"Anyway..." Beck turns back to me, "Who's call are you waiting for?"

"Well, remember that play I auditioned for?" I ask and they all nod, "Well, I've passed all the auditions and I've done all the callbacks, so now I just need to wait for the phone call that tells me if I get the part or not. They said they'll call either today, tomorrow, or two days from now. I mean really, they couldn't have given me a smaller window." I laugh sarcastically, crossing my arms on the table.

"I thought they'll call tomorrow?" Ana asks me.

"Well they said "maybe tomorrow", but somebody already got the call this morning. Which means, I am playing the waiting game, worst game ever." I whine.

"We have ping-pong today, might take your mind off of this." Beck reminds me.

"Oh yeah, so what's today? Twister, uno, monopoly?" I whisper to make sure that nobody else hears, yawning at the end.

"Ping-pong." André states with a straight-face.

I laugh at him, "Very funny."

"He's not joking." Ana says.

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion, "What?"

"Tori wants to join." Cat informs me.

"Noooo, why?" I whine at Ana, Cat, and André.

"Tori's joining the team?" Beck asks them.

"Yep." "Uh-huh." "Yes, she is." They all nod.

"Well, that's not gonna happen." I shrug.

"What's not gonna happen?" I hear Trey ask and I turn to see him standing behind me.

"Nothing that is any of your business." Cat replies, winking at me. I shake my head in amusement.