Chapter Nine: An Unforseen Play

A heavy silence falls over the training grounds as the two fighters square off.

To your left stands Tatsumi, his wooden practice sword drawn and ready, the usual fire in his eyes seeming to burn brighter than usual.

And to your right stands Akame, her practice sword held back slightly, but still ready to be drawn at a moments notice. The cool breeze whips her hair up and around her face in graceful cascades. If she is anxious, her face certainly isn't showing it.

Slowly, you raise your hand up into the air, your eyes darting between the two opponents.

(Y/fn): "Ready?..." Tatsumi tightens his grip and breathes deeply. Whilst Akame shifts her stance, her legs parting a little more. "Begin!" You bring your hand down, and the response is instant.

Tatsumi rushes towards Akame, letting out a war cry that forces you to cover one ear, his sword held far out to his side. Akame, however, remains calm and steadfast.

Tatsumi leaps towards Akame and begins to unleash a barrage of jabs, contorting his arm into shapes you didn't think were possible, all in an attempt to bypass Akame's flawless defence.

Akame responds by effortlessly deflecting each attempt with a gentle, lightning fast, tap.

The obvious gap in their strength begins to frustrate Tatsumi, causing him to try and end the fight with one powerful, vertical, swing. Which Akame counters with a horizontal one, locking the two of them into a struggle as they push against each other.

You can see, and hear, the wooden blades bend, creak and crack under the pressure of the strike. And for a brief moment, you wait on bated breath for someone, or something, to give.

Luckily, Akame is able to push Tatsumi back before anything breaks. Ending the standoff and throwing him back all the way to his starting position with one final push of her swing.

Tatsumi skids to a hault as he jams his blade into the ground, breathing rapidly and wiping a long bead of sweat from the side of his face. "Hold!" You command, signaling the end of the round.

Tatsumi suddenly whips his face up, his eyes meeting Akame's in defiance.

Tatsumi: "A...Again, Akame!" Akame cocks her head to the side in confusion.

Akame: "Shouldn't you take a break, Tatsumi?" Pushing off of the ground with his sword, Tatsumi's shoulders drop into a less tense stance. But his eyes remain just as determined.

Tatsumi: "Why would I want a break? I told you, didn't I? Come at me like this is a real life or death fight." Tatsumi turns his head to you in anticipation.

(Y/fn): "Ready?..." You slowly raise your hand, Tatsumi and Akame adopting the same stances as they did last time. "Begin!" Tatsumi charges Akame. This time, he keeps both hands on his blade, pulling it back and holding it parallel to the ground.

Suddenly, the fight is swiftly ended. But not by the crack of Akame's sword. But the thud of Bulat's fist colliding with Tatsumi's forehead.

 But the thud of Bulat's fist colliding with Tatsumi's forehead