Chapter Five: The Executioner

The meeting room:
You and Night Raid are all gathered and listening to Najenda's report on the string of gruesome murders that have been occuring in The Capital recently. The air is a buzz with anticipation, specifically from you. Najenda sits, slumped over in her chair, balancing her elbows on her legs, and staring up at you all through the tops of her eyes.

Najenda: "The target this time...Is the rumored serial killer that is plaguing The Capital. Late at night, he appears and cuts off his victim's head. It is unknown how many dozens of people he has killed so far." The cogs in your head start to slowly turn as multiple questions come to your mind.

(Y/fn): "They decapitate all of their victims?...Even the children? This must be one deranged individual." You and Tatsumi look to each other on instinct.

Tatsumi: "Weren't three of their recent victims imperial guards? They've got to be strong to do that." Lubbock's expression darkens.

Lubbock: "There's no mistake, it has to be Zank the Executioner."

Tatsumi: "Who's that?"

Mine: "You don't know? You really are a country bumpkin, huh?" Mine says in her usual belittling tone.

Sheele: "But...I don't know either." Sheele adds, sounding as air-headed as ever.

Mine: "I think you've just forgotten, Sheele."

(Y/fn): "Who is this "Zank"? You make him sound like some kind of urban legend."

Lubbock: "Trust us, (Y/fn)...He's as real as you and me."

Tatsumi: "So, what kind of monster is he?" Mine turns to Tatsumi with an unusual amount of seriousness for the insouciant assassin.

Mine: "Zank the Executioner. He originally worked at The Empire's largest prison, as their head executioner. Because of the Prime minister, there were many people to be executed. Day after day, again and again...He took the heads of those on their knees, begging for their lives. It seems that after years of this, beheading people became a nasty habit of his." You suppress an involuntary shudder that creeps up your spine.

(Y/fn): "No wonder he lost his mind. I've seen greater men go mad over less."

Mine: "Eventually..."

(Y/fn): 'Of course it gets worse!'

Mine: "Execusting prisoners wasn't enough for him, and he became a serial killer."

(Y/fn): "I have ears all over The Capital, and this seems like a pretty big deal. So why is this the first time I'm hearing about him?" Bulat gives a hearty cough from his position leaning against the wall, beside you.

Bulat: "Probably because none of your informants believed you needed to know. He has been missing since before you came here, (Y/fn). He dissapeared right around the time a detainment force was sent out to find him...No one expected him to return." Tatsumi clenches his fist and punches the air in barely controlled anger.

Tatsumi: "What a horrible man! We need to find him, and beat his ass!" Bulat tussles Tatsumi's hair with an amused smile, dousing the young boy's temper.

Bulat: "Hold your horses, Tatsumi..."

Tatsumi: "Bro?"

Bulat: "Zank stole his warden's Imperial Arm before abandoning his post and becoming a serial killer." Bulat gingerly places his hand under Tatsumi's chin, smiling charmingly...and glowing, somewhat. "If you ran into him without your partner...You'd be in big trouble."

(Y/fn): "I though I was Tatsumi's partner?" Bulat suddenly places his other hand under your chin and gives you the same treatment as Tatsumi.

Bulat: "(Y/fn), we're all each other's partners here." You feel the colour drain from your face.