Chapter Elevn Point Five: Man To Man (Part Four)

You feel the sweat run down your back and moisten your palms, as adrenaline floods your veins like never before.

The creature remains deathly still as it towers over you all, its long shadow blocking out the sun behind it, casting you all into a sudden darkness.

Sahģrè: "Um...L...L...Lèkian, what is that thing?" Sahģrè's voice shakes and cracks as she cranes her neck high enough to nearly break it. But no response comes.

Like the rest of you, Lèkian is simple staring on in awe, as if his mind can't begin to process the sheer scale of the foe before you.

It's only when you all hear the ground shatter behind you, and you turn to see the monster's colossal, bladed tail, do you all return to some semblance of sanity.

Źelfrah: "Everyone scatter!" Źelfrah cries out just in time for you all to jump clear of the tail slam that follows. The ground gives out under the force like sand to the ceaseless torrent of the ocean.

The beast then slams its jaws towards the nearest group, lodging its fangs in the earth, wrenching them free a moment later and crushing the rocks still trapped in its grasp into fine mist.

Suddenly, a rain of arrows begin pelting the great serpent in its face, curtesy of Lèkian and his bow. Though they harmlessly bounce off, they do manage to draw its attention.

Long enough for you and Túlio to slash and punch at its scaly hide. But apart from some scratches, your attacks barely phase the behemoth.

You both try for a second past, but with surprising speed that you didn't think was possible from a creature of this size, it blitzes both of you, knocking you out of the air with a single swing of its mighty tail and following through with a swipe at Lèkian, who manages to dodge and fire another arrow straight down the snake's gullet.

As the creature reels and spews blood from its throat, its eyes seem to burn as large globules of a foul smelling, viscous, yellow liquid begin to drip from its fangs. As it looks down at Lèkian, it roars and spews the contents towards him in a long stream.

He tries to side step the assault, but gets caught on his side and crashes to the ground. Savańia rushes to his side but when she turns him over, her face is stricken with horror.

Poor Lèkian is convulsing on the floor and screaming as the skin on his face and clothes on his chest begin to smoke and sizzle, slowly melting away to the bone underneath, blood pooling beneath him. You stand in shocked silence, the only thought running through your head being that the pain must be unimaginable.

The screaming only stops when the acid burns through his throat. And moments later his arms fall limply to his side with a muffled thump, his lifeless eyes still wide. Whereupon, the monster skewers him on the end of its tail and drops him into its waiting maw.

Being forced to watch a friend be devoured in such a disrespectful way is too much for some of you to bare, and you charge into battle with anger ignited within your hearts.

Unfortunately, a group of children has very little fear factor when compared to a gargantuan serpent.

The snake's first victims are Sahģrè and Źelfrah. Who, in a flash of white scales and flinging sand, find themselves wrapped within the beasts mighty coils, the pressure on their chests quickly building as its bulging muscles rapidly choke the life out of them.

You watch helplessly as the veins in their faces bulge painfully, and their skin turns purple. Neither of them even has the air left in their lungs to scream, as blood begins leaking from their tear ducts.

Then, with one final, sickening snap, the contents of their insides splatter forth from their mouths, staining the white scales around them a nauseating pink colour.