Chapter Twelve: Raising The Stakes

The midday sun warms the cool wooden floors of one of the many hallways in Night Raid's Base (which seems to be strangely empty), with not even a mouse to disturb the quiet.

However...it does not last!

As Mine comes thumping down the hall like a rampaging Bull-Elephant, any sense of decorum and considerence having long left her mind.

Finally reaching her destination, she grips the handle and throws the door open, nearly blinding herself with a shot of intense light as she enters the training grounds.

Mine: "SOMEBODY...SPAR WITH ME!!!" She demands in her usual shrill voice. Buy her words fall flat on what she sees next.

Two shirtless boys. Toned (but still developing) muscles glistening with sweat. The contours lined by the sun's rays. Their breath heavy against the strain of their exercise. And two beautiful women sat casually atop their backs.

Needless to say, the sight of Tatsumi and Lubbock (carrying Akame & Leone) catches Mine a little off guard.

Tatsumi: "Yo, Mine," he casually greets.

Akame: "You're awfully fired up today."

Mine: "What are you all doing!?" Mine balks.

Leone: "The boys are always training, so we decided to help them out," Leone innocently smiles (?)

Tatsumi: "I could tell the moment I put it on," Tatsumi pushes off of the ground again, his arms shaking from exhaustion. "Incrusio is packing such power, it saps my strength too quickly. I have to build up my body so I can use it like Bro and wear it for long periods of time." Suddenly, Tatsumi's face changes into an annoyed sneer. "As I am now, I can't use its invisibility for more than a second." As another drop of sweat runs down his nose to the ground, Mine can't help but feel the air getting a little too hot around her. So she drags her attention to Lubbock.

Mine: "It's unusual to see you drenched in sweat, Lubbock," Mine flatly states. To which Lubbock simply grins.

Lubbock: "There's only four guys in Night Raid. But out of them, I'm the weakest. So I decided that it was time to step up my game," his grin grows nearly twice in size. "After all...how can I be a ladies man if the competition is so steep?" This makes Leone giggle.

Leone: "You sure talk big, but you haven't done even half the number of push-ups that Tatsumi has." Lubbock sneeres through his teeth, like a snake.

Akame: "It's not his fault. There's a big weight difference between Leone and me." Suddenly the air chills and the atmosphere becomes dangerous.

Then, without warning, Leone drives her fist into the top of Akame's head, leaving the poor girl reeling as she desperately massages the area.

That puts a firm stop to the group exercise.

As Tatsumi sits, he stretches out his aching muscles.

Tatsumi: "But no matter what we do, I can't help but feel like we've got a long way to go," the entire group looks over to the other side of the Courtyard, where three more figures are present.

Bulat: "Come on, (Y/fn), no pain no gain!" Bulat's voice echos across the entire area, as he (seemingly) effortlessly performs push-ups whilst headstanding. Sweat pooling below him, stiring the dirt into spots of mud with each drop that splashes against it.

Meanwhile, his training partner blows out a strained gasp, his cut muscles tense and shaking from over-exertion, as his nude torso drips with an equal amount of moisture.

The scars over his pristine (Y/sc) skin seem to slither like living things as the muscles beneath them tightens and loosens with each push.

But most shockingly, (Y/fn) is doing it all with Sheele on his back and only one hand to the ground (the other bent behind his back).