Chapter Ten: New Players At The Table

You nurse a glass in your hand, swirling the bitter, ruby contents as you take in the scene around you.

You had often heard of "the Great Canal", even before your arrival in the Capital.

A man-made lane of water that took seven years to build, and stretches over two thousand, five hundred kilometres, leading from the Capital, all the way to the sea.

It was often used as the main point of commerce between the Capital and Xerksia.

That was until both countries ceased all trade relations with each other at the turn of the last two centuries. You doubt the water flowing beneath you now has even seen a Xerksian ship, let alone kissed its bow.

You adjust the tie tightly wrapped around your neck, before straightening the lining of your dark navy, tailored suit that Bulat was kind enough to sneak on board for you.

???: "Excuse me, young man?" An old, cracking voice calls out to you from behind. You roll your eyes, before plastering on the fake smile you perfected in Xerksia's courts and Aria's estate.

(Y/fn): "Yes, Ma'am? What can I do for you?" The old woman visibly blushes, discretely fanning herself.

Old Lady: "My, such fine manners," you see her eyes quickly drop to your feet before shooting back to meet your eyes. "I couldn't help but notice that you appear to be alone on this cruise. A true waste, really..." You don't even need your Imperial Arm to see where this conversation is going. You've been dodging propositions like this since you were practically born. "If it is not too impertinent, may I advise the company of my youngest daughter?" She gestures to a distant crowd and you notice three woman, all wearing a similar style of dress; each coloured a variant of red.

Two of the woman already have men attached to their arms, enjoying and exchanging pleasantries with other guests. Whilst the third just nervously looks around, like a lost lamb searching for its flock. When she finally sees you staring, she just nervously waves to you, whilst dragging her eyes to the ground in embarrassment.

You politely wave back, accompanied by a slight inclination of your head, remembering to smile with your eyes as well as your face.

She seems pleasant enough, but you're here on business and don't have time to engage in pointless frivolities with strangers.

Luckily, you came prepared for just this situation.

(Y/fn): "I am flattered, Ma'am, that you would think me worthy of your daughter. Truly, I am. However..." You deftly exchange the glass between your hands, and hold up your now empty one, displaying the silver, teal-gemmed ring wrapped around your finger. "I am already engaged." The old lady sags in defeat.

Old Lady: "I...See. Oh well, it can't be helped. Sorry to have taken your time. It was a pleasure meeting you," you both shake hands.

(Y/fn): "Likewise."

Old Lady: "Please, enjoy the rest of the cruise."

(Y/fn): "You too," you finish off your drink and place your hands behind your back, before straightening out your shoulders and walking towards a more open section of the deck.

Once you are sure you are out of the lady's line of sight, you let your body sag and you breath a sigh of relief. 'And here I thought I had gotten away from these sorts of social gatherings.' You place your glass on the tray of a passing waiter, quickly switching it for a full one without him even noticing.

Your eyes begin to scan the crowd, and it doesn't take you long to spot your target.

Tatsumi leans against the railing of the ship, looking forlornly between his own glass of wine and the guests. He wears a suit similar to yours, except it's a warm grey colour, worn over a black shirt.