CHAPTER 17

CLAD IN her simplest dress, Tori joined her father and half-sister in the carriage. Today was the day to execute Mia. Initially, the Duke did not want them to watch since it was unnecessary. But Tori did not want to miss the opportunity to watch her wretched sister's face as the guillotine's blade would kiss her servant's neck. She wanted to see the wench and her servant together. She wanted Mia to hope and snatch it away from her.

Tori couldn't forget the face of the noble-looking Sabina from her dream. She couldn't forget how Mia stood proudly before the original Victoria.

How ironic that our roles will be reversed later.

The three of them kept silent as the carriage trudged towards the capital's plaza. Tori was just watching the scenery beyond their carriage windows while Sabina was just looking down on her lap. The Duke, on the other hand, had his eyes closed as if telling her daughters that he didn't like to start a conversation with them.

By now, the rumors spread by Lily and Marchioness Susana must have escalated to their target maximum damage to Sabina's reputation. With their coming-of-age ceremony almost coming, it would be very hard for Sabina to get a sponsor, especially from Marchioness Susana of House Zoliel. But Tori was still observing the Duchess of Castaña Duchy, who has yet to give Tori an answer to her birthday party's invitation.

Elisa's sick desire for the crown prince might help me with this situation. For now, I'll watch your moves, dearest sister.

The carriage stopped when they arrived. Tori looked outside her window just to be flooded by an unwanted sense of familiarity as she watched the commoners loitered like insects in the capital's plaza. She unknowingly clenched her fists. The Duke was the first one to step out of the carriage to guide Sabina and Tori down.

With Tori in turmoil with the dreaded place, she put on a façade of a weak and benevolent woman. The way she slowly walked with elegance and teary eyes as clutched her handkerchief, every commoner spoke of sympathy for her.

"How can someone attempt to kill that kind-looking lady?"

"I heard from the servants of the Rozenreff Duchy that Lady Victoria is so kind to them."

"What a poor soul."

The whispers and murmurs continued. The Duke thought Tori was distressed because of the prying eyes of the common folks, but what he didn't know was that his eldest daughter's actions were all for a show to strengthen Tori's appeal to the masses.

The Duke gently aided his two daughters as they maneuvered to the stage where the guillotine awaited the executioner. Tori's memories of the original Victoria resurfaced again.

Glancing at the people on the stage already, Tori recognized Marquess Zoliel immediately.

So you are here just for the show and the added fame, huh? Just you wait, Marquess. Your reckoning will also come.

"The criminal has arrived," the royal knight announced. Tori was just like watching the same dreaded movie all over again. But this time, instead of the original Victoria being dragged by the royal knight, it was Mia.

Blood oozing from Mia's lips, nails from both fingers and toes were missing, and her piss and blood mixed.

Feel the pain you helped to give to the original Victoria, you wretched fool.

All those times, Tori was just watching Mia's suffering with elated contempt. They presented the moment that the criminal in front of them on the stage, Tori tried her hardest to suppress her glee. The look of pure horror etched on Mia's eyes as she looked at Tori was satisfying for the latter. Gone was the proud look that Tori saw in Mia when she visited her in the prison cell. On the other hand, Tori could see the flash of pure relief when Sabina realized that Mia's tongue was cut off.