CHAPTER 26

BENEATH THE glamorous mansion of Lord Tofera laid a dungeon. The primary purpose of this place was to keep the merchants who made a fool out of Lord Tofera's trading company. But today, a day after their secret meeting, this well-kept dungeon would serve as their meeting place to deliver the cargo.

Lord Tofera bribed the noble judges to cancel the execution of Allistair. And since the latter was not a known gentleman from any Houses, he was treated as a slave for a trade. A commoner's execution was not as celebrated as a noble's execution. Hanging commoners or heads rolling from the common folk's populace was treated like a normal thing, unlike if the nobles were the ones standing to be judged, it would be treated as a festival.

This day being the last before classes start again for Tori's second week, she told the Rozenreff Duchy that she would visit the queen's palace as she was Tori's sponsor. Tori usually left Lily in the estate to act as her eyes and ears in her stead.

Tori's disruption of the noble faction's plan immediately resulted in a summon for a secret meeting that was held at Duke Castaña's estate. Sabina was equally busy as she was busy being tutored by the Duchess to be a proper lady, but Tori knew that it was only a pretext that was hiding the fact that Sabina was invited to the secret meeting. According to Lily, Sabina often visited the Duke's office when all the handmaidens returned to their quarters.

Perhaps the plot's turning point wherein the female lead Sabina met the male lead at the banquet by fate that happened in episode 1 of the Thorny Crown Series was all a farce that fooled the viewers. Judging that the events now followed the plot of the series, then Sabina and Lauren's supposedly fated meeting must be the strategy of the noble faction. To think that they also targeted Victoria to strengthen the support of the masses for Sabina made me recoil with disdain.

Just you wait, father. After all, we have to save the best for the last.

"How's my cargo, Brenan?" The sound of Tori's footsteps with Rowan in tow resounded in the narrow hallway of the dungeon. The Tofera House butler, Brenan, led them to the lowest part of the dungeon where Lord Tofera was waiting with her precious cargo.

"I delivered the cargo safe and sound just as you wished, my lady." The butler answered respectfully even when he did not look back at her as he was making sure that the steps they were taking were well-lighted from the lamp he was carrying.

Tori's steps were calculated to avoid falling over, though Rowan was on high alert every time she took a step down as if she would trip over soon.

Good. I need him clean if I'll own him. I don't like dirty pets. I just hate dirtying my hands when Lily spent hours trimming my nails quite gracefully.

When they arrived, an open cell where the House of Tofera's knights were loitered welcomed them three. At the center was Lord Tofera, holding the leash that connected to the collar of a kneeling Allistair before the old lord.

His cerulean eyes regarded her immediately as soon as she was visible to them. Her tattered coat seemed to make him recognize her. "I knew it. A psychotic chic will only pull this shit level like you. You're so desperate to have me, huh." His malicious tone made Rowan draw his sword.

Tori stopped Rowan by the wave of her right hand. "He's not disciplined yet, I see. I am looking forward to taming you, pet." Tori crouched down at his level.

His glaring eyes welcomed her together with his spit that marred her shoes. "You piece of shit!" Rowan aimed to strike Allistair down for the latter's behavior, but Tori's red eyes regarded her knight with a warning.

"I need him alive and well, Rowan."

Standing up to face the lord of the house, Tori showed them a scroll where Crown Prince Yei Lin's seal lay.