CHAPTER 21

-VICTORIA'S BIRTHDAY PARTY-

BOTH THE aristocratic faction and noble faction surrounded Queen Aurina soon after the introduction. Everyone already understood that the queen walking side by side with the celebrant meant that Victoria Rozenreff was the selected noble lady to be sponsored by the queen.

Duke Rozenref did not know how to react to his daughter's sponsor. In high society, it was to be expected that his eldest daughter would inherit the Duchy, but Sabina's appearance stopped him from formally announcing Victoria as the official Rozenref's heir apparent. Many nobles from the Empire were expecting him to make the announcement today, but he stalled until next year's coming-of-age ceremonies of his two daughters.

But now he was being forced to make a decision sooner than he thought. He both loved his daughters, but he was just feeling guilty that he was too late to act as a father to Sabina, who suffered so much in the slums. He did not want to deprive her of her right to the Duchy, but he also did not want Victoria to feel that was abandoning her. After all, Victoria was his child from his beloved wife.

The Duke's inner conflict as he was observing the joyous birthday celebration of his eldest daughter did not get unnoticed by Tori, who was busy greeting her guests and well-wishers.

Oh, Father.

Tori excused herself from her guests to go to his father. "Father." She hugged him lovingly in front of everyone, but Tori saw how the queen's brows rose. Yeah, yeah, I am a superb actress.

"Why did you leave your gifts unattended?" The Duke patted her back and looked at her straight to her eyes when they distanced from each other.

Because I can't help but laugh in my mind whenever I see you so torn between me and that wench.

"Because I thought I saw how Father is looking at me, you seem tired." Worry laced in Tori's voice.

The Duke forced a smile to hide his problem, "I am just thinking of something else from my work. You must not mind me, Victoria. This is your day, you must enjoy this."

Of course. You don't have to tell me, father dear. Plus, you must remember, that I am the legitimate daughter of House Rozenreff. I am the heir to the Duchy and not your bastard.

Tori saw the House Lords of the noble factions coming closer. So when Tori thought they were near enough, she uttered the words that would shake Sabina the most. Where's Sabina, anyway? She's probably throwing a fit. After all, that dear sister of mine should check her head or something. She's kinda not right in the head.

"Are you proud of me, father? Am I worthy of being the legitimate heir of the Duchy?" Tori's words shocked the Duke. He did not know that her innocent and hopeful eyes were hiding a serpent all along.

Simply put, will you announce me as the official heir father? And gain the respect of the majority. Or will you decline? And put Sabina at the disadvantage when the queen is my ally. After all, I intend to use the queen.

Duke Allaister Von Castaña, who came later than his daughter and the Duchess, butted in when he heard Tori. It immediately put Duke Luwen in a tight spot. "Who wouldn't be proud of you, Lady Victoria? I, Duke Castaña, recognized your achievement in the Trifecta Academy."

"Thank you, Duke Castaña. But I fear that I am always lacking. I just wished that my mother is here with me. She could have guided me as the proper heir apparent."

Red eyes met another set of red eyes, wary ones met hopeful ones, and a father's gaze met his daughter's stare. It took a couple of minutes for the Duke to answer his daughter. "Your mother will also be proud of you, Victoria. And I am proud of you too. I will announce the official heir when you both will come of age."