CHAPTER 28

TODAY IS the last day of spring.

Tori looked outside the windowpanes of the academy's library. Three months passed since the two princes left the premises of the empire. The absence of the Order's president caused quite a ruckus but was immediately stopped when Prince Lauren stepped up to be the temporary president of the Order.

I don't know what he's up to though. There is a big chance that he's planning something new with my father and Sabina, though.

Sabina was busy preparing for the entrance exam that would be held in the following days. The students were also preparing for the examinations. Tori finished reviewing the books that the professors required them to read. She used her remaining time to search for any likely causes of the plague that would cause Prince Corean's death, but she did not find any lead.

Is the plague also a trick from the noble faction? Was the king unaware of it? But with such a large scale, is it possible? Shit, I should have watched Season 6 for any clues.

Touching the window glass as Tori traced Prince Corean's figure from afar, her wariness with the unknown made her want to make a contingency plan. But how can I make one when I don't have any solid plan regarding the coming plague aside from using Lord Wolfgang?

A plague as big as that. She needed time to prepare. But how? How can I save you from death? How can change our twisted fate?

A sudden knock on the table she was using stopped her train of thoughts. Glancing behind her, Tori recognized the headmaster of Trifecta Academy. "May I have a word?"

"Of course, Headmaster Eyzana Valtera." She took the seat in front of him. He was looking curiously at the books on the table that were splattered randomly.

"You are quite interested in epidemics. That is a curious hobby for a fourteen-year-old girl." His all-knowing eyes scanned her like he knew everything, but Tori knew he would never know that she transmigrated. Only Gaia knew the purpose she gave Tori. And that's surviving.

Smiling like she usually did, Tori pulled on the same façade as she always did. "To what do I owe the pleasure, Headmaster?"

What was uttered next by the Headmaster faltered her rehearsed smile. "Duke Luwen Rozenreff came to me bearing gifts that were unworthy of me. Along with his obvious attempt to bribe me, your half-sister came. He needed her to have the same standing as you."

You are showing your true colors, father. Behind her newly recovered smile was a fury that was bubbling up. "Oh. My father has such love for his daughters, Headmaster. Please understand him. I deeply apologize if he offended you with his gifts."

The Headmaster acted as if he did not hear her at all. He continued, "I asked him why he's doing this and he answered he will make your half-sister the heir apparent but he needed her to qualify to compete with you."

Laughing gently, Tori acted that the news was not new to her. For her, it was not new, but still; it surprised her.

I already knew that this would happen, but why am I feeling betrayed?

"I always love healthy competitions, Headmaster. But why are you telling me this?"

What do you gain from telling me? What is your motive?

"You are right, what do I gain from telling you? Simple, I don't like someone underqualified to enter this academy and use this school to earn leverage for some game. My academy is not a stepping stone."

Tori could not hide her grin as she listened to the vindictive tone of the headmaster whom everyone in the empire respected so much. 

There's no need to hide, I see. After all, he can see right through me.