CHAPTER 31

A HOARD of commoners welcomed Tori as soon as she stepped out of the carriage. With tomatoes and eggs in their hands, they volleyed them to her. "Cover us!" Rowan instinctively covered Tori using his entire body. He walked before her. But as they progressed, the common folks became wilder than the last time.

Tomatoes and eggs flew from every direction, rendering Rowan helpless under the onslaught. Tori knew it would cover her with filth and grime. Glancing at the people waiting at the very entrance of renaissance styled courthouse, a familiar group of people looked at her as if she was beneath them.

What did the original Victoria do to earn this Duke Luwen Rozenreff?

Even from afar, her red eyes met his. Not even blinking as she was at the center of the onslaught.

Just as she was about to be covered by slime, strong and warm arms engulfed her body like a cocoon. "Close your eyes. They only deserve to see beautiful things." Her face pressed on his chest and instinct, she closed her eyes like she was only waiting for those words to be said.

The angry growls of the common folks grew, but a pair of gentle hands covered her ears. "What are you doing here, Prince Corean? You should be in Trifecta Academy." Tori's muffled words were still heard by the second prince, who was sweating hard from his earlier sprint just to save Tori. His knights helped in covering them as they sauntered towards the door.

His grip on her waist tightened. "Do you think I can turn a blind eye to this after you declared that you'll be my queen? Not a chance, Tori." His warm breath touched her bare neck which made shivers run down her spine.

You are getting into a noble trial where your head might get chopped off, but your lady part is practically like Niagara Falls! I'm such a slut.

The chaos that ensued around her was muted by the very feeling of being protected. Tori knew that she was just using the second prince, but the feeling that was way more chaotic than those around her was making her head spin. 

I need to stop this before it becomes too late. Politics doesn't need this feeling.

It is too late now. There will be no other path but to move forward. Father was watching when the second prince covered me. It's he's thinking that something is going on about us or he might realize that I am a member of the aristocratic faction.

"This way, Lady Tori!" Rowan led the Castaña Duchy by making them barricade their pathway to the door. Tori saw the familiar knights from the Rozenreff Duchy, but as soon as they met her eyes, they would look elsewhere as if they did not know what to do. Either the Duke or Sabina might have ordered them to stay put in this kind of situation. 

Ha! What a cute thing to do.

The large double doors of the courthouse opened. It led them to a room that was assigned for her to wait. Rowan walked ahead of them with his head held high. Tori could tell that he was born for this, to be the future Duke of Castaña Duchy. She was supposed to do that, but the territorial left arm of the second prince was stopping her from doing that. Glancing up at him, Tori argued with him in a low voice. "You can let go now, your highness."

His golden eyes were cold and furious, a complete contrast with his gentle smile. "No. I will let go of you when I want to. Who knows what you'll ask with Lady M when I let you go wander around again? So no and that's final."

"I hate to burst your illusion, but it is time for me to enter, your highness. So you must go now and I'll also go."

Realizing the weight of her words, even with the disapproval on his face, Prince Corean finally let go of her, though hesitantly.