CHAPTER 5

A PAIR OF cobalt eyes was eerily staring at Tori as she sat on his bed. Tori heard Johanes order Rowan to stay on the bed until his wounds healed. Despite being a fifteen-year-old boy, Rowan was overly malnourished, and he needed strength to become a knight-in-training.

After five days since she brought him with her, this would be the first time that she visited him, though she asked Lily to check on him from time to time. Her father assigned Johanes to aid him, so Tori didn't see the need to interfere yet.

She would let him settle down first and let all his wariness wash away. And now she's here in front of him to clear one thing for him.

"Why did you bring me here?" His voice was sharp. He still didn't trust her, even when the evidence of their promise was dangling from his neck.

She smiled genuinely at him. "Remember when I told you I need you to protect me? I now have full consent from my father, the Duke of Rozenreff, that you will be my knight. I think that would be better than being in the street for your entire life." Tori was lying though because, by next spring, the Duke of Castaña Duchy would acknowledge him as his son.

Though I loathe you, Rowan, for your wretched devotion towards Sabina before, I can't turn a blind eye to your talent and peculiar loyalty. I will make you mine and let that wench experience what Victoria experienced from the second male leads.

"Me? A knight?" A mixture of delight, excitement, and nervousness reflected in his eyes. Tori reached out for his hand and squeezed it.

Tori could feel the heated gaze of Lily. The latter one was so overprotective of her that she wanted to wince. However, Rowan disregarded the heated gaze from Lily and was particularly astonished by her hand on his.

See that, Rowan? I am fucking reaching out for you, so stop being a pussy and man up, dude!

Slowly, he nodded his head. Tori didn't know what that meant, but she took it as good feedback. She smiled at him genuinely, but behind that so-called genuine smile of hers were sharp ruby red eyes.

A RED outdoor dress with golden embroidery of an Iris flower while Tori's golden ringlets were braided meticulously with red pearls inserted along with her hair and a small cut ruby as her accessories. Tori was a sight to behold. There were no unnecessary frills and laces but an elegant swish of embroidery and jewels. She wanted to look good with her return to high society.

Tori heard from her handmaidens that today was the day that Sabina was first invited to a tea party. They were both invited, but the original Victoria decided not to go because of Sabina's presence, but it was different now. Lily was astonished when she heard from Tori that she was attending, but she made Lily keep the information a secret.

That wench must be excited for her first time in high society. And since Mia, her sent spy, told her about her previous decision about Victoria regarding the tea invitation, then Sabina must think she could dominate the attention.

As if I'll let you do that.

"Lily, did you prepare what I told you to do?" Tori asked her while she was descending the stairs. By now, Sabrina must descend too.

"Yes, Lady Tori."

Good.

Just when they're in the middle of the staircase, a surprised Sabina descended the stairs too, just like what she predicted. The all too familiar frown of Shena greeted them, to which Tori replied with a wicked grin.

"You look beautiful, dear sister!" Tori's excited voice towards her half-sister warmth the hearts of the surrounding servants.

Ugh! What are you, a daycare student? What's with the excessive frills and ribbons? What an eyesore!