𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟗: 𝐒𝐭𝐮𝐝𝐲 𝐃𝐚𝐭𝐞

TW: Mention of bullying

"Please leave a message after the tone."

I let out a small groan before the sound beeps. "Good morning, mom. I just wanted to call you since it's been a week." I had so much to say, but saying it all in a voicemail sounds stupid when I imagined us having a conversation.

"I send out a letter to you and dad this morning. Please call me when you receive it." I quickly add, "I love you," before ending the call. My voice chokes up, thinking about it. I can't understand why they haven't called me.

I try not to take it personally. They think I'm Odette. Maybe their love towards Odette doesn't equal their love towards Calista. But if this were the case, I'm sure they would have been able to differentiate their two daughters.

I'm just so angry and so hurt. I'm angry because they let me fall into this trap all because they can't see who is who. I'm hurt because they haven't even bothered to check up on me. One voicemail. A quick hello would have done well. Anything to know that I have not already been forgotten.

"Ready?" Aurelia asks, startling me as she opens the bathroom door. I nod without turning to her.

"Are you okay, Odette?" She asks, stopping in place.

"I'm fine," I answer. "I just ... " I sigh before continuing. "I just called my parents and was left on voicemail." Aurelia continues looking at me, listening. "I thought they would call my now."

Aurelia clasps her necklace together and fixes the butterfly charm on the center of her neck. "I understand," she quietly says. She grabs her backpack. "I don't think they forgot about you. Maybe they don't have a good connection there."

"Or maybe they just forgot about me," I mumble. "Don't say that, Odette," she places her gentle hand on my shoulder. "No one could forget about you," she smiles. That's awfully sweet of her to say, but I'm sure it's a lie.

I swing my backpack over my shoulders and we head outside to meet with the girls.

Last night, Aurelia and I fell asleep on the bathroom floor, which I do not recommend. I have a cramp in my neck and I was freezing cold when I finally woke up. I took a very long and very hot shower this morning, trying to warm myself back up.

I can't stop thinking about Aurelia. Last night, she told me she was lesbian. She told me that at her old school, she wasn't given the chance to tell people herself. I wonder if she told everyone here to avoid that situation. Maybe that same situation did occur.

Whatever it is, those boys need to grow up. They are so immature and disgusting. It hurts my head just thinking that people treat people like this because of who they love.

We walk down the hall, talking about school, mostly etiquette class. I didn't realize I would have taking something like that here. The class is surprisingly difficult. Every time I have a book placed on top of my head, I laugh, thinking of how Odette would react if she were here instead. It would not work for her. Of course, since I'm laughing, the book falls. That got me a dirty look from Professor Runecrest and Larissa.