𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟏: 𝐃𝐞𝐜𝐞𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐝

I continue walking down the hall, not wanting to see anyone anymore

I continue walking down the hall, not wanting to see anyone anymore. I probably looks like a mess.

Hesitantly, I look behind me, towards the back rooms. Should I still wait for Aurelia? If I leave, she'll think I just ran off, abandoning her. I don't want her to see my as that type of person. I'm already a drunk and a suck-up to two people at this school. I don't want my best friend seeing me as a rude one.

I turn around and take quiet steps, waiting outside the bathroom. I lean against the wall, just as I did before, like I didn't even move.

I wipe my face dry, wishing I had a mirror so I could check myself. She will probably be able to see that I was crying. Back at home, it was no secret if I had been upset because my puffy eyes and red nose completely gave it away.

Maybe I'll just tell her it was allergies. Of course that's not going to work. It doesn't even work in the movies. How would that work in real life?

I try to keep my face tear-free, but every time I hear Larissa and Bridget's taunting voice in my head, I feel a sharp sting in my heart.

The bathroom door opens and closes with another thud as Aurelia walks out.

"Sorry for taking so long—" Aurelia stares at me, her voice cutting off. Well, there it is. It's all so obvious there's honestly no point in hiding it.

"What happened, Odette?" Aurelia asks, her voice gentle and quiet. "Was it something I did?" I shake my head, afraid if I speak, the tears will start coming out like a waterfall.

"What happened?" she asks again just as Larissa and Bridget's laughter echoes throughout the hall. I look in the direction of the classroom, holding my breath. I wait a few second, but no one comes out. Maybe we should get out of here before they do.

"Let's go," I quickly say. I walk swiftly, ahead of Aurelia. "Where are we going?" Aurelia asks.

'Away from here', I want to say, but instead I choose words that aren't so trivial. "To our dorm."

"Why?" I don't want to lie to her, though in a way I already have. I'm not even who she thinks I am. She doesn't even know my real name. What more of a lie can someone tell?

"I'm feeling terribly ill," I whimper.

"Oh no!" Aurelia matches my pace and takes my hand in hers, surprising me one again. "Should I take you to the infirmary?" she asks with extreme concern in her eyes.

"No, no. That's alright. I just need to lie down." Aurelia nods and says, "Let's head back to our dorm then. I'll call the girls after and tell them what happened."

Aurelia holds the door open for me, sending a quick chill my way. I glance up at Aurelia before heading down the steps. Even in my distressed state, she can still find a way to make my cheeks turn bright red. It's stupid to be thinking about this, really.