𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟖: 𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐩𝐡𝐞𝐜𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐂𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐞𝐬

"Can I be honest with you Aurelia?" Aurelia immediately stops what she's doing—that is, placing the box on a suitable place by her desk—and turns to me, giving me immediate attention

"What's wrong?" she asks, her eyes turning dull. "Please don't worry too much about it," I say, quickly waving my hands as if brushing away her stresses. Lately, I feel as if though I'm burdening Aurelia with my problems. I can imagine her having a carefree time at this school, happy and simple times. Then I came along. I ruined the peace. All I'm doing is causing problems. I can't have her worrying so much about me, no.

"I just don't know if I want to go out there," I mumble under my sigh. The air feels too dense for me to walk through right now and at the same time, I feel like I'm walking into a land mine. Practically every single student is at the library at this hour. If Magnolia heard about the situation, everyone else is bound to have as well.

I just don't want to be laughed at again.

"Calista, that's okay," Aurelia consoles me. Her places her hand on my shoulder, hesitant at first which surprises me. "You don't have to do anything you want to."

"But I should," I whisper, letting out another sigh even though I feel as if I'm holding my breath.

"Magnolia is waiting—" "She will understand," Aurelia assures, keeping her eyes directly on me.

I find myself blushing. I feel as if I haven't blushed from Aurelia in a long time. This was before everything got out of control. I forgot how wonderfully warm it feels. Even so, I turn away in embarrassment, hoping she cannot see the red layer developing on my cheeks.

"I still think I should go."

Aurelia's hand slides off my shoulder, onto my arm. "I can't stop you." She pauses. "But I will be by you if you start to feel nervous." Her arms wrap around me in a hug. Without thinking too much, I hug her back, soaking in all her touch gives me: comfort, euphoria, love.

"You know I'm not interested in Everest, right?" I ask, thinking about the moment in the elevator. "I know," she quietly answers, her breath tickling me.

"Should we go find out what's going on?" She asks, letting go of me. I nod, feeling a sense of determination.

She smiles and squeezes my hand in response. She pulls me to the door, dragging me into the hallway. I notice no one is outside, but Aurelia lets go of my hand, instead placing a smile on her face as a replacement.

She locks at the door before we start out walk down the corridor. We stop when we reach the elevator. Aurelia turns to me and asks, "Stairs or elevator?" "Stairs," I answer almost immediately with Aurelia stating the same thing.

We both hastily make our way to the stairs, not wanting to make out friends wait any longer.

____