𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟕: 𝐀𝐭 𝐒𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

The drive home is quiet, well quiet in the front at least. I'm seated next to an unnamed professor, who I'm sure I'll never know the name of. She's different than the one who I was speaking to previously.

I glance at her for a moment. She's sitting quietly with a book in her hand, her eyes moving back and forth going from word to word. She looks so settled. I wish I could feel that way.

As she turns the page, I quickly look towards the window. The light inside of the bus causes the view outside to be hidden and my reflection just stares back at me. Her messy hair and big eye bags tell me all the worries that keep her up at night. Is this how it feels to be seventeen?

I let out a quiet sigh and stare at my lap once again. The bus suddenly makes a slow turn and I spot a few glimpses of the entrance gate. As the bus continues slowly making its way to the entrance, the pit in my stomach grows in size.

The bus slows to a stop. Before any of the girls can get out of their seats, the professor from earlier rises and steps into the aisle, blocking the exit. "Off to your bedrooms, girls," she says, without a smile on her face. "I don't want to have anymore trouble today," she warns.

Anymore. I lower my head even more in shame. I've gotten in so much trouble since I've came to this school, which is silly considering how this school should be making troubled girls into good girls, not the opposite. With the party, the creepy stalker, this, it's all a bit overwhelming. I hope I don't lose it again.

I look over to the seat across from mine, after being sure that the professor is still consumed in her book. Aurelia is facing the window, though I'm not sure she can see anything. She lifts up her finger and starts to trace something in the window as if the window is foggy. A smile settles on my face.

The professor standing exits the bus with the rest of the girls quickly following behind. The professor next to me doesn't close her book, but she watches for a quick moment before turning to me. I quickly move my eyes away, back to my lap.

The minutes fly by and I really would like to check the time on my phone, but I resist the urge to. I'm not sure I'm that would be acceptable of me to do right now and I'm done being in trouble today.

Finally the last girl exits the bus. The professor steps back onto the bus. She looks at Aurelia and then to me. With her hand and a quick call of "girls", she indicates us to step off the bus.

The professor next to me creases the corner of her page and I could grimace if my head wasn't consumed in more dire thoughts. She tucks the book under her arm.

I watch Aurelia slide out of her seat. She looks at me, the hint of a warm smile on her face, before walking off the bus.

The professor stands and as she walks into the aisle, she leaves space before her so I can walk in front of her. I get out of my seat, my legs feeling a bit shaky. Could it be from sitting in the same position for a while or because I'm frightened?

I walk off the bus. As I slip of through the doors, the night air hits me. It's cold now, much colder, but I think it. I suppose it's true that the fresh air that can help clear your mind. I cross my arms, retaining my body heat as the last professor steps off the bus.

I notice the other bus is already empty of guests, though there are a few professors speaking by the door. I turn to Aurelia who is shivering herself, despite herself wearing a cardigan.

"Girls," the professor says, choosing to stand in front of us instead of between. Her voice is dangerously low and I hold my breath in anticipation of what she says next.

"I'm sure you both are terribly tired after tonight, but we have to sort this out before you may leave." Without explaining much, she begins to walk towards the daunting entrance steps of Octavian Padella Boarding Academy.