𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟓: 𝐃𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐛𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐞

I walk out of the bathroom, a towel spread across my shoulders

I walk out of the bathroom, a towel spread across my shoulders. My hardly-dry hair sends droplets down my back. My hair dryer doesn't seem to be working today. I grab a hair tie off my dresser and watch Aurelia at her desk, probably studying, looking at the way she's diligently highlighting her notes.

It's nearly noon and I have just finished my shower, but it felt so good. It's not all about the sleep, though I have practically been a walking corpse for the past few days.

When I woke up this morning, I thought it was all a dream. Aurelia couldn't have shared the feelings I have for her back to me. However, before I got to the bathroom, she smiled and wished me a good morning, and just by looking at her I knew it was real.

It was a bit nerve-wracking, honestly.

I mean, I really do like Aurelia. It's just ... now that she knows, I want to keep it a secret. I'm just not ready to share with the world that I, Calista Lillian am well, in love with a girl.

"Aurelia?" I cautiously ask, knowing I'm interrupting her studying. I take a seat down on the edge of my bed, the mattress gently creaking under my weight.

Aurelia turns to me, a smile already on her face. "Yes?" she asks with maybe a hint of humor in her tone. Her smile flattens when she sees my serious face.

"Can I please ask you something?" I ask.

Aurelia closes her notebook, giving me her undivided attention. "Of course." When I take a bit longer than a few seconds to respond, she adds on, "What's eating you?"

"Do you like me?" I first ask, wanting to really be sure before I continue to my main point.

Aurelia leans her arm on the back of her chair and plops her head on top. "I do," she simply says, her eyes shining.

"Do you like me?" she asks, some fear in her voice. I nod. Her smile returns to her face, happy with my response. I look down before taking a deep breath.

"I want to ask you if ... " I bite my lip and turn to look out the window. I don't want to see the hurt or rejection in her face when I give her my request.

"Can we keep this a secret?"

"Keep what?" The chair rubs against the floor as Aurelia stands up. She walks over to my bed and settles down beside me.

"That we like each other?"

I suddenly realize something that sends a jolt of nervous energy throughout my body. We aren't even dating. Just because she likes me doesn't mean she wants to date me. Wait, that's doesn't make sense. What am I saying?

"Are we girlfriends now?" I ask, trying to fix my question without answering hers.

"I would like that," Aurelia says, leaning down to try to see my face. "But only if you want to," she adds.