Part 7

I'm not sure what shakes me awake from the nightmare I was having about Niko. I stare at the ceiling of my pod, breathing hard.

Let go of what has already happened, I remind myself. It is not your fault that Niko is dead.

I lie awake in bed for a few moments, clearing my head and trying to summon the courage to walk into the kitchen and face Eva and Max, who clearly don't want me around. I also imagine introducing myself to Xeno, who for some reason really intimidates me. And those other two people - I don't know them at all - what will I even say to them?

The only person I feel remotely safe around is Zayn, but then I get those weird feelings in my stomach when he comes near me.

The anxiety of all of these possible interactions keeps me glued to my bed, safe inside the dark, soundless pod. Then I remember what Zayn said about living in the present.

I suddenly notice smells of delicious food tickling my nose. There must be a dining hall nearby.

I inhale giant wafts of citrus mixed with blackberries and mint, as well as a hint of something savory, like biscuits with melted cheese and butter.

My stomach growls. I'm starving.

I slide out of bed, click the button that opens the door into the hallway and start walking out of my pod.

I catch myself just I time. I'm naked! I close the door quickly. You can really take this whole "living in the present" thing too far.

I stare at the golden Cadet jumpsuit hanging beside my bed.

It's time to start looking the part.

I take off my tattered underwear, grab the suit and slide into the gloriously soft, skintight fabric. Instantly, I feel a buzzing sensation wash over my body. Kind of like when Zayn touches me, but this is on top of my skin rather than inside my belly.

There's a small earpiece hanging near the neck of my suit. I stick it in my ear.

"Welcome to the Galactic Squad," says a twangy female voice.

I jump. Who's talking to me?

As if reading my thoughts, the voice responds. "I am Anika - your smart suit guide, and I will be here to serve you throughout your time as a Cadet."

She continues, "I do many things to help you be the best Cadet you can be. For example, I regulate the temperature of this suit, depending on what your body temperature is as well as what the outside temperature is."

"Wow!" I exclaim. "That's really cool."

"Cool, indeed," she replies. "And sometimes warm, too," she chuckles.

I smile but then realize that she can't see me. "Yeah, well thanks," I say.

"Oh you are very welcome, dear," she replies. "It's also my job to create an optimal eating and exercise regimen for you, so we can whip you into shape. You're a Cadet now, and you need to be fit."

Is she calling me fat?

Before I can respond, Anika continues, "And all I can say right now, dear, is that you need to eat, and drink a lot of water. Now."

My stomach growls again, this time louder than last. My cheeks flush a bit.

"See what I mean," she teases. "Go on now, get some breakfast, dear."

"Thanks Anika," I reply. "It's nice to...umm...meet you?" I say, almost like a question.

"Likewise, dear. Just take out the earpiece to shut me up. Otherwise, I'll keep chattin' away. I can't help it. It's just my nature," she laughs.

"Okay, then," I respond. "I'll chat with you later!"

I take out the earpiece and head toward the kitchen. On the way, I notice a full-length mirror and stop for a second to look at myself.

There I am, Karina Ishma. Fifteen years old. In a beautiful, golden Galactic Squad suit. I turn to the side and put my hands on my waist, sucking in a bit and bending over while checking out my own profile. For a second, I imagine wearing that special shade of red lipstick like Moxie Perez. I pout my lips and blow a kiss at myself. Then, I bust out a few dorky dance moves - arms flailing, hips shaking.

"Uh, hey Miss Universe, you ready to eat something?" Zayn mocks.

Oh my god. I can't believe he just saw me do that.

I turn around, completely red-in-the-face and respond, as calmly and as confidently as I can, pretending that absolutely nothing happened just now. "Yes, I'm starving."

"Great. There's a feast going down and you're most definitely missing out," he grins as he turns and starts walking toward the kitchen.

"But uh, I don't want to interrupt anything important," he adds, pointing to the mirror.

My face burns, but I manage a quick smile and then follow him as he enters the kitchen.

Let it go, K. Just let it go.

Everyone is sitting together at the same table, which is covered with the most amazing buffet of food and drink that I have ever witnessed. It's better than the feast Niko treated me to in the enchanted forest, which at the time, I didn't think was possible to top.

Niko. Oh Niko.

I sigh and, with all of my strength, push him out of my mind as I follow Zayn toward the table and try to focus only on what is taking place right in front of me.