Part 39

The next morning, when I wake up, Eva is already gone. She's made her bed, too. The sheets are perfectly folded and tucked, the pillows precisely placed and fluffed.

She's very organized, I think to myself. Gotta give her credit for that.

I turn around and look at the clock. 9:30. I slept for almost nine hours straight.

My first class today isn't until after lunch, at 1pm, so I lie in bed for a bit and then take my time getting ready for the day.

When I step into the kitchen, the wonderful smell of butter and eggs and fruit tickle my nose. I see a note on the table. It's in Eva's handwriting.

"Karina, I'm off to meet Iggy today. Thank you again for setting this up. I am SO excited beyond words. I made you breakfast this morning. Hope you like it!"

I lift the oversized lid sitting on the countertop. Underneath it is a plate, perfectly decorated with two pancakes, a side of eggs and fresh fruit. Everything looks amazing. And there's just enough coffee left for one cup.

I look outside, and the sun is shining bright, so I grab a jacket and decide to eat out on the deck this morning.

The cell on my arm lets out a small ding. I look at it. It's a message from Pikar.

"Eva's something alright," it says, with a winky-smiley face.

"Haha, yeah," I type back. "But, I guess she's not so bad."

"Yeah, she's not so bad at all," responds Pikar.

Texting with Piks reminds me that I can play music from my cell as well, so I tune into a station with some calming, acoustic guitar tunes as I finish up my meal.

It's a gorgeous day today. There's so much vibrance and possibility in the air. It's both energizing and overwhelming at the same time.

I think about my dad and wonder what he's doing at this exact moment. I think about my mom and wonder, if she were still alive, what she would be doing at this very moment.

I've tried and tried to search for any information at all about them, but whenever I type their names in anywhere, nothing shows up. It's so frustrating.

I guess maybe my dad is up to something that requires him to keep his identity hidden. Why my mom's info also seems to be hidden, I'm not so sure. It all just feels so weird.

I wonder when they gave up searching for me. I wonder what that final moment was like for them, when both my mom and dad decided enough is enough. I wonder if it happened for both of them at the same time. I wonder if they fought about it.

I wonder what ultimately pushed my mom over the edge.

I feel like I would have never, ever given up. In a way, I never did give up on them. Honestly, I still haven't given up on my dad. I just don't understand how they could have given up on me. I wish I could ask my mom that question. What happened, exactly?

And yet, I can't seem to hate either of them enough to not want to see them again. To not want to have my dad wrap me in his arms and call me "Kishmish". To not want to feel my mom run her soft hands through my hair in that gentle way only she can. To not want to experience the warmth of their special love for me and only me.

I don't know who I am without them. Even these past ten years, when I wasn't physically with them, the idea of them is what helped me remember who I am - helped me stay hopeful, stay alive.

I wonder if my dad even thinks about me anymore.

The song that's playing ends and an ad comes on, which pulls me away from my thoughts. I check the time - it's 11:00. I think I can still make it to the archives, at least for an hour, before class starts.

I hurry inside and wash the dishes and then quickly pack my things for the day. As I bolt out the door, I get another message. This one's from Eva.

"THANK YOU!!!" it says. "THAT WAS FREAKING AWESOME!!!"

"Lol, you're welcome," I respond. "Thanks for breakfast - it was really yummy."

She sends me back two smiley faces and a heart.

As I exit the apartment, I run into Rex. "Whaadup, whaddup?" she says.

"Hey Rex!" I respond.

"Where you off to?" she asks.

"Just checkin' out the archives before class," I answer.

"Neeerrrrd," she jokes, opening the door to the building.

"Whatever," I respond, laughing.

"Well, don't have too much fun," she says looking back at me. "The cave can get cray."

"Wait, what do you mean?" I ask.

"Oh K-Nigma," she sighs. "You have so much to learn, little one."

"Let's just say that people have been known to get a little down and dirty in there," she adds, smirking.

She winks and walks into the building.