Part 11

We land on Mimba.

From the window, I see a vast, dry desert. Endless dunes of white sand sizzle in the scorching hot sun. There is little to no vegetation.

Mimbians are known throughout the galaxy to be a bit abrasive toward outsiders. They choose to mate almost exclusively within their own race. So, everyone basically looks the same - burnt-amber hair; plum-purple skin and emerald-green eyes that are speckled with lighter, peridot-colored flakes of green.

In order to remain inconspicuous and be readily accepted by the Mimbians we encounter, Zayn and I are both wearing disguises.

I look over at Zayn who, in his new disguise, looks almost exactly like me, except for the fact that his hair is a bit shorter, he's taller, a bit more muscular and has no hips.

It will be odd to have the experience of blending in with a group so effortlessly.

Growing up, people always gravitated toward Pikar more than me. She just has a lightness about her that is infectious. On Dard, Niko was my only real friend. I guess the other girls - like Eva - always thought I was sort of weird. And, Niko is the only boy whoever paid any attention to me.

Even now as a Cadet in the Squad, I don't really feel like I belong. I mean, I'm technically not supposed to be here.

Xeno stands at the control center, armed and ready with GPS trackers and video gadgets to help with the operation remotely. Sonya and Dom are about to head back to Shinar.

It seems like Max and Eva are just going to sit inside the ship and watch everything unfold like a movie. Part of me wishes I could do that, too. But, I guess this is my chance to prove myself as worthy of being here...as worthy of being able to call myself a real Galactic Squad Cadet.

There is a faint sound of someone clearing their throat. I think it might be Anika trying to get my attention.

I still have my jumpsuit on, but it's temporarily invisible so that it doesn't draw unnecessary attention or interfere with my disguise. I am about to put my earpiece in to ask Anika if she needs something when I feel a hand on my shoulder.

"You ready for this?" Zayn's voice inquires behind me.

My stomach tingles and my knees wobble a bit as I turn around to face him.

"Well, considering the fact that I have no real training and have never really done anything like this before...I'm going to go ahead and say...not exactly," I reply sarcastically.

"You've gotta believe you can do it, Karina," he responds. "Otherwise, you've failed before you've even begun."

I feel a slight pang of annoyance, even though I know he's right.

There's an arrogance about Zayn that both irritates me and intrigues me. I often, simultaneously, have the urge to punch him in the face also to kiss him. It's very odd.

"So, have you ever seen one of these big hairy beetles before?" I ask.

He hands me a pair of metallic gloves that are extremely thin - like rice paper - and that are also the color of copper.

"Only in pictures but never in real life," he answers. "Here, put these on."

Carefully, I slip my hands into the gloves.

"Now, press the palms of your hands together as if you're praying," he continues.

I oblige.

"Rub your hands together as fast as you can, and when you feel a bit of heat, stop and then clasp your fingers together," he finishes.

I follow instructions and then all of the sudden the gloves feel as if they are melting into my hands. My skin first turns into a shade of bright copper and then transforms back into the purple-ish color of my disguise, the color of native Mimbian skin, but I can feel a layer of protection over my hands that wasn't there before.

"It's so you can pick up the beetles with your hands, if you need to," explains Zayn.

I scrunch my nose, "Can't we just use a vacuum or something?"

"That would be a bit conspicuous, don't you think?" he responds.

"And sneaking around Mimba stealing top-secret serum, blowing up a Squad production facility and destroying hidden beetle cameras isn't?" I retort.

He smiles. My heart skips a beat.

"You know, the beetles are considered a delicacy on Mimba," he says.

I cringe. The thought of eating big black beetles seems disgusting.

"Thanks for the gloves," I respond. "But I'll take a rain check on eating beetles."

He smiles. Why is my heart beating so fast?

"The concept is definitely a little weird, but I think it's just about getting over the psychology of it," he says. "They're supposed to be delicious - though I've heard that if you eat one raw, this neon green goo oozes out and it smells like rotten eggs."

I wrinkle my nose and he laughs.

"Now that is pretty gross," I respond.

He leans in close to me and stares straight into my eyes. My heart begins to race. Is he going to kiss me?

"You have a really huge eye booger right there," he says, pointing to my left eye.

"Oh, uh, thanks," I respond, wiping away the booger and dying of embarrassment.

"Yeah, no worries. I got your back," he says.

I nod in agreement. And, though I am terrified, I do also feel pretty excited about the fact that it's only going to be Zayn and me out there on Mimba. I just hope we are able to do what we need to do and make it back out alive.

"Cool," he confirms. "Let's go."

"Yesssiiir!" I retort, a bit cheekily, standing up straight as I salute and give him a wink.

He tilts his head a bit and looks at me funny. Immediately, I regret being so dorky.

I'm nervous.

But seriously though, what is my problem?!