Part 22

After dinner, Zayn and Max walk Eva and I back toward our apartment building. It's a clear, crisp night. The moon is full and bright, brushing our path with golden light.

I try to use the cell on my arm to see if there is an Iggy concert happening nearby and if so, how I can find tickets.

Trying to search and walk at the same time proves to be ineffective, so eventually, I stop and sit down on a nearby bench.

"Mmmm that food was soooo yummy," I hear Eva say, her voice fading a bit as she, Zayn and Max continue to walk ahead.

Zayn responds to Eva, but I can't hear what he says. I can't let myself get distracted right now.

I finally discover that Iggy is having a concert here tomorrow night! But, tickets are already sold out. Obviously. She's so famous.

I turn off the device and bring my knees up to my chest, so that I'm curled up like a ball, my arms wrapped around my legs, my head bent down and resting on my knees. A tear rolls down my cheek.

Maybe it's totally insane to think that Iggy could be Pikar. I mean, what are the odds?

A light breeze gently ruffles a pile of nearby leaves on the ground. It's autumn. A striking mixture of golden, rust, red and mustard, the leaves fall gently from their branches, forcing them to lay bare.

But still, a few leaves cling on, unwilling to let go.

Eventually, though, they too will no longer be able to hold on and will fall into the mess below them, relinquishing all control, becoming subject to the whims of the wind and other creatures, and above all else - time.

I feel so alone.

Then, I remember...Anika!

I put in my earpiece.

"Anika?" I ask.

"Well, hello Karina, dear," she responds. "It's been a minute, nah?"

"Yes, it has," I respond. "How have you been?"

"Oh girl, I been fine," she says. "I'm more worried about you. What's going on? Why you cryin'? Your stress levels are stressin' me out!"

"Oh nothing," I lie.

A moment of silence.

"Karina, girl, here's the thing," says Anika. "You can't lie to me. So go on, spit it out."

I sigh and take a deep breath. In and out.

"Okay, fine," I concede. "Do you know who Iggy is?"

"Oh yes, girl, of course!" Anika exclaims. "She's very famous. Why you ask?"

"I really want to get tickets to her concert for tomorrow night, but they are all sold out," I reply.

"And that's why you cryin' girl?" asks Anika.

"I mean, yeah, basically," I say, deciding not to admit the entire truth.

"Well, you part of the Squad now, dear," she continues. "You can get a ticket, I'm sure. Just think!"

I hear a faint rustling noise in the near distance.

"I'll talk to you later, Anika," I exclaim. "Thanks for your advice."

"Of course dear," she says. "Get some rest and drink lots of water."

I rip out the ear piece and look around to see if anyone's nearby. I don't see anything but then I catch a figure in the distance making its way toward me.

It's Zayn. He's alone.

Sweat starts to form under my arms and between my legs.

I try to act like I don't notice him coming, looking in the other direction, pretending to be doing something with my cell.

"Karina," he yells, still a few feet away. "Karina, we got so worried. Why didn't you tell us that you had stopped to sit down?"

He approaches the bench now and sits next to me, a bit breathless.

"I mean, does it really matter what I'm doing if Eva is around?" I snap.

"Karina, come on," he responds. "What are you talking about?"

"Oh please, do I really need to explain myself?" I retort.

"Look, Karina, nothing is going on between Eva and me," Zayn answers. "We're just friends."

"Great, just like me and you," I reply, looking at him straight in the face.

He looks confused, but I remain silent. We both don't say anything for a few seconds.

"Look, Karina," he finally says. "I want to help you get tickets to Iggy's concert."

"Why?" I ask.

"Because, I don't know. I just do," he answers, taking my hand in his. "It seems important to you, so it's important to me."

I yank my hand away. "I appreciate your concern," I remark. "But I'm fine on my own."

"Karina, what is your problem?" Zayn asks.

"Nothing. I'm great," I reply. I get up from the bench and start to walk toward my apartment.

"At least let me walk you home," Zayn offers.

"Where is Eva?" I shoot back.

"Max ended up walking Eva home, and I said I wanted to be sure you got home safely, so I came back to look for you," he answers.

"Well, that was nice of you," I respond, softening just a bit.

Together, Zayn and I walk under the moonlight.

"So, how are you going to get me these tickets?" I finally ask.

"Oh, I have my ways," he answers, grinning.

"Ooooh, so mysterious," I mock.

We continue to walk in silence for a few minutes.

"But seriously, Z, I need to know some details. How are you doing to do it?" I add.

He looks at me, smiling. "Just trust me, okay?"

"I don't really feel like doing that at the moment," I retort, looking the other way.

He laughs, "Kishmish, come on! What does that even mean?"

"What can I do to make sure that I get a ticket?" I say.

"There isn't much that can be done tonight," he responds. "So, you should get some rest. But if I haven't figured it out myself by tomorrow morning, then we can scheme together."

"Okay, fine," I say. There really isn't much more that we can do. It's late and everything is already closed.

We walk for a few more minutes, and soon we're standing in front of my apartment building, the rows and rows of windows towering above us.

"Well, this is it," I say. "You aren't allowed to come in - it's after 10pm."

Zayn laughs, "Oh whatever - those rules aren't made for Captains."

He grabs me by the waist and pulls me close to him. I turn my head away from him, but he grabs my face and turns it so that I'm looking straight into his eyes.

"I don't know Zayn," I say. "I don't think this is a good idea."

"Quit being so afraid," Zayn says, running his hand through my hair. He kisses me on the cheek. My knees get wobbly.

"Good night," I say to Zayn, extracting myself from the tangle of his arms. "You're not officially a Captain yet, anyway."

"Good night, Kishmish," he responds, grabbing my hand at the last moment and jerking me back toward him for one last kiss. My lips smash into his, and in that moment, everything is perfect.

The moon wraps us in her golden light, the stars wink at us and time stands still and stares at us - Zayn and me - as we linger just a little bit longer in each other's arms.