Part 12

Next thing I know, I am on the back of a jet-black dune buggy, my arms wrapped tightly around Zayn's waist, as we zip away from the spaceship and soar through the air toward the city center, headed toward Element X and one of the Squad's metal factories.

The vehicle we are on almost looks like one of the Mimbian beetles itself. It's the most popular mode of transportation on this planet - a sleek, rounded, black, flying scooter.

First snacks and now vehicles - what else on this planet is going to be inspired by this disgusting bug?

As Zayn and I travel, I can't stop thinking about how I love having my body pressed-up so closely against his. I can smell Zayn's hair and skin - sweet and salty and perfect. I resist the urge to lay my cheek in the valley of his back.

Focus, Karina, I silently whisper to myself.

As we approach the city center, and civilization, it seems like no one notices us. We fit in just fine, which is a relief.

I stick the wireless earpiece that Xeno gave me before I left the spaceship into my ear.

The earpiece allows Xeno to override our smart suit assistants. So, for the duration of this mission, Anika is out of the picture. If I need my suit to do something, I ask Xeno, and he executes the command. That is, if he approves.

Zayn says, "Launch factory suit." Suddenly, a Mimbian factory worker's outfit appears on Zayn's body, complete with badge and ID number.

I mimic him, and soon I too have my own factory worker suit.

After a few more minutes of riding, Zayn slows down the buggy. In the near distance, I see a huge, mostly windowless, licorice-black building. It also sort of looks like one of the Mimbian beetles. Snacks. Vehicles. Buildings. Three for three.

I wonder if there are secret cults on Mimba that worship this beetle.

Zayn stops and lands the bike on the ground. He jumps off and reaches out his hand to help me but I brush it aside and jump off myself.

"I'm a big girl," I assert.

"Okay, okay," he concedes.

"Karina, can you hear me?" Xeno's voice booms in my ear.

"Yes, sir. I can," I respond.

"Great," he replies.

Zayn acknowledges that he too can hear Xeno.

"Okay you two," Xeno instructs. "It's time to split-up. Karina - you'll be entering the first building coming up to your left, and Zayn, your building is a few hundred feet further down the main road, with the Squad's insignia on the front - you can't miss it."

Zayn and I look at each other and nod.

"We got this," I assert, attempting to mask my nervousness.

Zayn smiles in agreement, giving me a quick wink as he hops back onto the bike and rides off toward his destination.

Here goes nothing.