21.

You didn't see much of Kuroo when he came back. Everyone was busy closing out the camp and restoring Nekoma to the way it was. It didn't feel sad, everyone was going to be coming back for a longer camp at the last week of summer anyways. Although you knew you'd be returning to your tiny apartment in Miyagi, and might not see Kuroo again for a while.

        When did I start getting so attached to this guy?

        Still, even though everyone was busy with their own jobs you got a second while helping the boys clean up their room. You were airing the blankets that had gotten dust on them out the window with Narita when he caught your eye again. You watched him talking to Coach Nekomata and Kai outside in the courtyard. He really did look so mature, but it was also times like this that you couldn't believe he was in the same world as you were. He seemed so distant and far away like he was living in a different reality far from your own.

         It reminded you of last year, it was your first week at Nekoma. It was the first time you'd ever seen Kuroo, he wasn't as tall as he was now, his cheeks a bit chubbier, but his hair was always the same. You had been looking for a place to smoke outside and turned the corner by the gym to see him being confessed to. It was a brief moment, fleeting eyes met each other as you turned right around again to go back the way you came.

         Normally, you'd never remember or even care about who he was, especially since you had bigger things to worry about, but you saw him getting confessed to a few weeks after. These being two of the times you actually showed up to school. You were just climbing the fence to skip out of school with your friends. On top of it, you sat down and waited to feel the sun on your face, the wind brushing through you. Your friends had already started walking away without you, you didn't care.

         "Kuroo-san! I love you! Please let me be your girlfriend!" You looked over to see a girl bowing in front of the same dude you saw a few weeks ago. You remember not being able to hold back your expression and make a disgusted face since their expression of love was ruining your moment of freedom.

          He saw it and tried to hold back a laugh for the sake of the girl who still had her head bowed. Your eyes widened in the realization that he had seen you, but it was just barely a moment.

         "(L/N)! You better get down from that fence right now!" You heard over your shoulder your homeroom teacher that ripped you away from watching Kuroo giving a much more respectful rejection than you expected.

         "Yessir!" You stuck your tongue out at him and fell backward off the fence to the other side and started running.

         You wondered if you reminded him of it if he would remember but probably not. You looked completely different then, a lot edgier than you do now. But regardless, then you were worlds apart, but now it was like you were just different towns. The distance feels far but the wall between you is blurred.

       He caught you staring, but instead of that laugh you were thinking of he looked the other way. It felt different than this morning and way different than a year ago. His indifferent look made your chest pang.

         "...Rude," you said under your breath.

         "What is?" Narita said, slapping the blanket exaggerated enough to make you sneeze.

         "That was." You pushed your friend's shoulder. He laughed at you and leaned over to see Kuroo and his team cleaning up outside.

          "So? He your boyfriend yet?" Narita asked plainly.

           "Don't you think I'd tell you guys something like that." You said, "Of course not."

           "What an interesting reaction. Actually sounds like you're bummed about it."