16.

Kuroo leads you to the parking lot behind the gym. There were only a few busses back there for the other schools and a few coach's cars. The world felt so still, nothing but distant sound of the cars on the main street beyond the fence and frogs singing the night away. The night was so cool compared to the hot day you both experienced, refreshing your senses. It was here in this parking lot that he was proud to introduce you to his pride and joy.

    "Say hello to: the van." Kuroo presented this beat-up brown van to you like it was the prized jewel. You just couldn't hold back your laughter.

      "It's not just any van? It is the van." You agreed, it looks like it has been through it. The front bumper was threatening to come off, brown paint was chipped off on the hood which exposed a large sunspot, and there was a giant scratch on the side of the passenger side doors. "What did you guys do to it? Put it through a blender?"

      "No! Of course not. My dad has had this van since I was born." Kuroo unlocked the doors manually and opened up the passenger door for you.

     "I never pegged you as the sentimental type." You rose a suggestive eyebrow. Playing with him felt so easy and necessary to keep your mind off all the other things you were worried about.

     "You've never pegged me at all." Kuroo tilted his head. You looked as if your ears were going to burn at the suggestion. Kuroo just laughed, breaking character rather quickly to pat you on the back, "I'm kidding, I'm kidding. It was just too easy. C'mon, I'll give you a quick tour."

     Kuroo opened the passenger door for you and you got in. It smelled like him, so warm, vanilla and cinnamon. He showed you the incredible coffee stains on the driver's seat probably from his dad and some volleyball equipment that had been laying in the back for years, only moved to pick up friends. He happily started driving away.

     "Hmm.." He humed, thinking for a second. "I know." It looked as if a lightbulb went off in his head, Kuroo mindlessly rested his hand behind your seat to help in looking back over his shoulder as he reversed out of his parking spot.

      It wasn't until he pulled away from the school that you started getting nervous. If you went somewhere crowded and got spotted by someone, it was over. And you'd be pulling the police chiefs son into this. Yes, you could get yourself into serious trouble again. Part of you wanted to continue whatever this was with Kuroo, but the other half of you knew if you continued it was going to get extra hard to lie about not having been at Nekoma last year, not being Doom's groupie, and overall not being safe for him to stay close to outside of volleyball. It wasn't smart, it was selfish to continue.

      "Where are we going?" You asked, curiously.

     "I'm showing you Tokyo, duh." He knocked your forehead before returning his hand back to the steering wheel. You drove through so many suburban streets, all the while jamming to some of your favorite tunes. Although you didn't have the exact same music taste, you both enjoyed expanding and listening to each others favorites. Some laughably bad and some really fun and beautiful. You whipped the top visor down to settle your energy and a picture fell out.

     "Oh my god, who is this?" You asked, your heart-melting looking at an all too familiar bed head on a much smaller body in a pair of onesie pajamas and a band-aid on his cheek holding up a thumbs up. He couldn't be more than 6 years old, absolutely adorable.

     "Give me that." Kuroo said, his hand reaching over to try and pry the picture out of your hand, but you turned your back to him and hunched over the picture to take a picture.

    "No, I think I want to keep it, actually." You said, taking a picture of it with your phone.

    "No! Stop! Ugh... my dad's got photos of me like that everywhere. He's impossible." He facepalmed.