1

REINA'S POV

Heavy footsteps echoed at the far end of the hallway. I waited the whole evening for him to come home. His disappearance troubled my heart, and my sleep would be fragile, while he was out there. I knew too well how troublesome he could become.

The lantern light illuminated my black hair. The brush combed through them as if they were made of fine silk. I didn't realize my eyebrows had made an ugly scowl as I watched myself in the mirror getting ready for the night. The comb stuck between the long strands and I hissed. It didn't help to relieve me from the existing frustration.

With a loud thud, the awaited person opened the lattice door of my room, and I watched his heaving form in the reflection.

"Did you want to see me, princess Reina?" His frown deepened more than it already was.

"Where were you, Arian?" I looked straight into his pale eyes.

"Doing my duties, as always."

"Duties ... ha ...? Or were you bothering that poor girl again?"

I heard him growl quietly.

"What girl?"

I turned around to face him. Arian looked down, his gaze full of arrogance. Some might cower in his presence, but I did not fear him.

"That poor farmer's girl. I know why you are after her. She does not deserve your anger. She has no part in your affairs and knows nothing of your resentment, she knows nothing of her true roots."

"And you have managed to sniff out such insignificant matter. Why do you even bother?"

"I want peace in this land. Mother and father have worked hard, and my duty is to continue with their efforts. You ... you are not helping, Arian."

"Speaking of them, they want to see you."

He puffed out his chest and put the arms behind his back, looking proud and not fazed by my means of getting the sense of humanity back in him.

"Why do they want to see me so late at night?"

"Must be something important."

"I will make myself presentable. Can you inform them of my visit beforehand?"

"As princess wishes."

Arian left with a small smile. A rare sight, but I was fortunate enough to glance at that expression from time to time. I wondered, was it because of me? Was I able to make him soften up?

I pulled my hair up in a neat bun, took the lonely silk belt that laid on the floor, and covered my slim figure with a robe of the same fabric before looking at the reflection once again. It would be a shame if my mother saw me in such a look, with wild hair and half-naked. The socks on my feet still looked fine, I didn't change them.

The hallway to the other side of the castle was dark, fire of lanterns cast a scarce light on the shined-up hardwood floors. My steps were the only sound accompanying me. The darkness didn't scare me either and no foreign shadows hid in the corners. For a long time, the castle life had been peaceful, thanks to my parents, but it didn't help me to worry about Arian and his secrecy outside the walls, what trouble he might be causing?

The bedroom of my parents was quiet. I hesitated to announce my presence, but then light footsteps hinted at their activity. I inhaled deeply.

"Mother, father. I have arrived."

"Come inside, Reina." My mother said, her melodic voice eased my heart.

I opened the door and the warm light of candles overwhelmed me. After my bow, my mother smiled and waved for me to come closer. She took my hand and gifted a featherlight kiss on my cheek. Father stayed silent and watched me with a serious expression while resting his hands in the red sleeves of his night robe. I never complained of his lack of emotions, knowing he loved me as much as my mother. The great support they provided was all I needed in royal matters and in the world of nobility.

"Do you wanted to say something? Arian informed me, so I assume it is important."

"Yes. In a few days, I have arranged the trip for you to the newly formed country of Hadria. We can't go with you. There are many things we have to deal with here in the homeland. You are smart enough and courageous to take this matter into your hands. We need to strengthen the bonds with other lands, open up new trade routes and make alliances to strengthen Sariahn."

"It is far away, might be dangerous."

"We have thought about it. Arian will accompany you and will be your guardian."

"I can't help, but feel a little bit unsure of my capabilities ..."

"This one is important. The king of Hadria and the next heir to their throne possesses the mark of the power, the same trait Arian was born with." My father spoke.

"I understand."

Knowing how important was this to my parents and to the whole country of Sariahn, filled my heart with a new determination to make my journey worth the trouble of leaving my home for a while.

I bowed deeply.

"Have a good night, mother, father."

I went back to my room. Throughout the night my eyes stayed open, thinking about the long way to Hadria and what might I see on the other side of the world. What kind of people I would meet and above all, what I should expect from the members of their royal family?

Their eyes. For the first time, I would see another human being with the magical trait that gods had gifted to the few chosen ones.

Nearing the morning light, I succumbed to my tired mind and let the dreams continue in my sleep.