24

KAIYA's POV

Could my heart ease a bit? I had to tell myself he had left, he was no longer behind this door that always promised wonders, being ornated with silhouettes of golden motives of plants. In reality, the vast corridors and the rest of the castle promised the ever-present threat from Arian. I wanted to see the Wiltshire wealth and power, the arts, and the people of Hadria, know more of their king and queen as well as their heir - the young and charming prince Richard. 

When I looked into his eyes, they were so different compared to Arian's, though completely identical in nature. I glimpsed so much love for life and compassion for others. Arian's gaze held the opposite kind of emotions - he hated the world, hated Huangs, and, in that regard, me as well. The only light in his cruel world was Princess Reina. Arian truly treasured her, I could see it over my fear of him, that little spark of goodness that was overshadowed by his constant distaste for strangers.

My eyes landed on my arms in my lap. Lately, they have been trembling more, even without the presence of Reina's guardian. For how much longer I would last? How many days, weeks, or months were left for me in her service? The time would come when I would not be able to avoid the looming danger from Arian. He would get me eventually...

A knock on the door disturbed me, drawing my eyes to the handle and straining in anticipation of who might come in. I knew it wasn't Arian, he would never be so polite to a servant, but it didn't lessen the present anxiousness.

Anna's rosy cheeks peeked through the gap in the door.

"There you are!" She chirped in excitement. Her tone sparked a tiny bit of joy in me. "Are you ready for adventure?"

"Adventure?"

"Are you doubting me? I can show you many things around the castle you have never witnessed. Wonderful gardens with art, animals, and games, rooms with secrets, history, and treasure, barracks holding the finest stallions and most handsome of guards." Anna chuckled and her cheeks reddened more.

"I should not be given so much freedom as a mere servant. In Sariahn such behavior as wandering around the castle without a reason would be punishable."

"Who would punish you? The king? Someone else?"

"Depends on the level of trespassing. It might be the king or even a higher-standing servant."

"You don't need to worry about that so much here. Understandably we also have privacy rules and servant-class restricted areas, but I will tell you a secret..." Anna came close to my ear and whispered, "Because I am the queen's servant, I have more privileges than that of a kitchen maid."

Anna took hold of my hand and pulled me out of the comforts of the soft edge of the bed. Our steps tapped against the hard and smooth surface of the floor like the chaotic dance of summer rain. Her dress hid her black and modest shoes, mine - soft and earthy basked in the rays of the sun finding space in the hallway. Anna's hand was firm and soft giving me the needed courage to roam the corridors where danger might lurk. Slowly the young maid's cheerfulness infected me, my heart danced awaiting the wonderous day ahead. 

We stepped out into the garden through an arched doorway holding figures of beasts, weaving trees and their lack of shadows as the morning sun scorched their silhouettes. Despite the amount of blinding light, the air gave enough chill not to give in to the urge to drop on the finely graveled path and fall asleep once again.

"I don't know what it is, but it seems your princess's arrival has brought the most wonderful of weather. This much sun is not a normal occurrence. " Anna shielded her eyes watching the few wispy clouds.

The intoxicating air filling the garden took my breath away. I tried to find glimpses of its source, but every bush, hedge, and planted pot teased a similar-looking flower. I held my palm up my nose, shielding the aroma.

"Don't you like the smell of roses?" Anna's fingers caressed the delicate blooms as we immersed ourselves deeper into the fragrant world. "The most alluring are the burnet roses in the center. Queen Thea created the garden piece as her purest love for King Edmund. Her love reaches all the corners of the garden. You have been taken by it as well." Anna poked me in the side laughing.

"It is a bit overwhelming. Is love that strong in this country?"

I didn't require an answer but Anna shifted me so my eyes met hers. 

"Listen! It is not the land that decides the strength of love for us. Love comes with the people we let into our lives. How we choose who has the right to provide it."

"I don't understand what you mean." I looked puzzled in her kind eyes.

"King Edmund chose his queen and it grew into the purest form of love. He could have set his eyes on the most beautiful woman on this side of the world, pouring his love out just to fill the bottomless pit that would lay in that woman's heart, but he chose a poor girl who saw for who he truly was. And because she cherished him they could overcome all the obstacles and stay together."

"I still don't understand ..."

"You will understand when you will meet him."

"Who?" The more Anna talked, the more confused my thoughts became.

"You silly girl!" She took my face in her arms, her warm hands almost burned my face. "The man you will grow to love and who will love you back as strong."

Her sudden gesture froze me in place. I was not used to such physical contact, from a stranger, from another woman. Not taking into account the heat acquired from Anna's gentle hands, I felt my cheeks redden more. It seemed her heart was full of love too. It poured out wherever she was. I looked back up at her gleaming eyes and content smile.

"I have never witnessed in my life the love you described. Not my parents, nor my village friends, nor other people talked or expressed it. There might be only one person ... holding my princess dear..."

"Who is the princess's lover?"

"Arian... the one with those eyes..."

"Does it mean our prince Richard has no chance of gaining her sympathy?"

"It depends on Arian. He guards her well."

" I have never seen our boy so consumed by the sight of a lady. Not that he wasn't intrigued by women before or basked in their sights, but with Princess Reina, he has become more ... focused. I certainly wish him luck. With Arian by her side, he might not get what he wants this time."

"I am sorry. I can't give advice about my princess in the matters of love."

"I understand. Above all, you have to worry about that handsome guard. There is something in him. I see how he eyes you."

Unfortunately, Anna had no clue that his expression was not born of admiration but of hatred. I shuddered thinking he might get close to me again. Those hands were strong, made to hurt others.

We moved further through the garden. Water trickled in a small fountain harboring the splashes of starlings and their tries to freshen up their gleaming feathers. A pond and a waterway enclosed the islands of plants where I witnessed large carp in the color of gold flaunting the king's wealth. I had not seen the same kind in my homeland. My eyes drew my form closer to the water, they approached curious as puppies. I couldn't help but let out a short laugh when their mouth touched my fingers.

"They are waiting for their morning feeding," Anna exclaimed excited the same way as I was. "I see you like animals. I wanted to save it for last, but do you want to see something? Something that will soon be in the possession of your princess?"

My eyes gleamed. What kind of surprise was there else to be seen?

"It is the most beautiful animal. Bred by our king in his likeness. Come." 

What could it be? I felt like a child again, finding the most insignificant treasures of the world lighting up my heart.