12

Somehow I regretted saying anything. A looming shadow flooded over Arian's glare. With each passing second, I could feel myself getting smaller and smaller under his form. That's what I meant to him. I was an empty place, and he wished for it to become a reality.

He hardened his grip, his fingers hurt my arm. Arian waited for my answer, which I couldn't express over my lips. I shook my head in denial, at the same time avoiding eye contact.

"What is it going to be? Be an obedient slave and come along." Each word was coated in venom.

"No. I am... not a slave. I serve only to my Lady."

"... to a royal family, understand that!"

I didn't notice when we started to move away from the crowds, through the corridor, where fewer eyes witnessed my panicked state. The hold on my arm had turned it numb, and my other hand trembled. I could never command my body to stay calm, not in his presence.

"... things I would do to you if no one would watch. What pleasure I would get by torturing the last source of Huang's blood."

"Princess would never allow." I held hope deep within me.

He yanked my arm, making me yelp, and pulled me faster to the open door.

Could I escape?

No. 

The freedom of the outside promised the danger. Arian would have all power to hurt me with no one watching.

All of a sudden, both guards stirred up and shut the lavishly carved door in front of our faces. I couldn't be happier. A flood of relief came over me, though Arian seemed more than displeased - glaring guards down.

"I see that you are a troublesome man." A voice boomed from the top of the stairs behind us.

Arian looked at the man through the corner of his eye. One would say this was a magical moment to see two extraordinary human beings together, but the air had become thick with tension. Two pairs of pale eyes promised no salvation nor the endless pit of suffering I expected moments ago.

"What a precise assumption, King of Hadria. Is everything alright?" Arian played a polite man.

"I was about to ask you the same." King Edmund's eyes narrowed. "Could you please return the servant to the ballroom? She seems distressed in your presence."

"What business do you have with her? She is our property. I do what I please with those under me."

"I would advise you to leave those sentiments behind while residing in my castle. Here we treat our workers with respect. ... I wouldn't want to make your journey a waste of time."

I sensed a hint of threat in the king's voice. He looked so noble in his attire, with sleek, dark hair and views of a truly kind ruler. His stance radiated confidence and pressure to obey, but not in the same way as Arian. The darkly dressed guardian evoked ... unpleasant emotions - those felt in the direst moments - when the light of your life seemed to fade. Or maybe I was the only one experiencing these feelings? King Edmund held his composure, matching the arrogance reflecting from Arian.

"Today is your lucky day, again." Arian hissed in my ear and let go of my arm.

I took a breath of fresh air, a breath of freedom, for now. King Edmund was my savior today, and I will be forever grateful for his noble interference.

He cleared the path back to the ballroom and gestured for me to hurry inside. Before I left his majesty behind, I bowed before him.

"Thank you!" I said in a low voice, still fearing Arian. 

I did not look back. The hall stayed silent behind, making me wonder how events would unfold when two godly nobles had met their match - both of the same kind, both of the same privilege and upbringing.

The ballroom never noticed our leave - the couples danced, the intellectuals conversed within their groups, and my princess enjoyed the company of the queen and her son. She hadn't noticed my disappearance either. I wanted to cry, relieved to be back by her side. 

Was I truly wise to accept her offer? My life in the castle has been only anxiety and constant fear of losing my life. Hiding and hiding ... from the ever-looming danger ... behind her back. But she was like no one I had met before. Reina expressed so much care for a lowly peasant as if I was one of her own family. That alone was the reason I should endure. As all the people in my land were taking part in supporting the royals, I had been presented with an opportunity of a lifetime to be by her very side and serve her. It was a privilege in the eyes of my people. Would it be my destiny to serve her till the day I died ...?

I didn't notice before, but queen Thea observed me with a satisfied smile. Her blue eyes glimmered with youthful emotion. Her appearance radiated a sense of fairness under her rule. I responded with a slight bow, unable to understand her interest in me.

Princess Reina waved with her delicate pingers to come. I wasted no time awaiting her order or whatever else she required me to do. Instead, she took my hand and pulled me closer to the table. The eyes of prince Richard and queen landed on my form - they smiled politely and observed me in silence until Reina spoke.

"This is my maid I talked about. Her name is Kaiya."

Why was the princess introducing me to a royal family? I was not that important to ...

"She is as good as my best friend, I would say. And I have big plans for her." princess Reina's voice expressed excitement I had not heard in a while.

My eyes wandered to the young prince, and his wide smile brought the heat to my face. I couldn't hide my embarrassment and uneasiness as all the eyes were on me. I was not the attraction to this event. That place belonged to Reina. 

Why were they so excited about me?