15

I waited for my princess in the silence of the room until the sleepiness took over. Without noticing, my form had slouched over the soft blankets on the bed. How long I had slept, I didn't know, but when the sound of the door forced me to open my eyes, I knew, the late hours had brought the princess to rest.
I shot up as soon as I met the pale eyes of Arian. He didn't look pleased. He inhaled deeply, ready to spit out the usual insults. Reina's expression was softer, she seemed tired.
Understanding my impoliteness, I bowed in apology. How could I be so rude and lay down in my lady's bed?
"I am so sorry, princess. It will never happen again." I balled my fists in the rough fabric of my tunic.
I could not look her in the eye and not think of glancing at Arian, whose presence made my stomach turn.
"What an insolence! Will you ever learn your place?" He said with clenched teeth at the same time, taking me by the hand and forcefully yanking me aside.
"I am sorry," I mumbled, afraid to say more. I had a feeling, the bruising will form in a place where Arian's fingers pierced my skin.
"Stop being so rude to her, for once. When will you soften up?"
"Soften up?" Arian's voice expressed utter disbelief. "For her? Never in my life. She will never earn my respect."
I felt his eyes watching me, burning with hatred. I struggled to keep my tears from spilling.
Reina sighed. It was clear, she had grown tired of trying to change Arian's mind. I still couldn't understand why from all the people, she wanted to protect me. I was nothing special, and I didn't want to burden their relationship with my existence.
"One day you will. Mark my words." Reina said more to herself.
I tried to be as invisible as possible, taking my place in a corner near a door, if I needed to leave. Her dear guardian had forgotten about me for a second and focused on Reina. His face softened as he watched her sleepy eyes. Like a lover, Arian brushed his hand over her black hair, tucking a few loose strands behind her golden hairpins. Those big hands were gentle as a feather, relaxed, quite the opposite of what I experienced on my skin. Reina smiled softly warmed up by his gesture.
"Take a good rest. I will be in the next room."
Arian placed a kiss on her cheek and held her delicate hands in his big ones, but as soon as he turned around, the same old features returned to his face.
I understood, he loved her dearly and my presence somehow had ruined the mood. I didn't want to stand between them in any way.
"Excuse me. I will wait outside." My quiet voice barely escaped my lips.
"Don't bother." Boomed Arian's voice. "I am leaving."
Before exiting the room, he made sure to stare me down, taking the air away. His presence smothered me.
I stayed in the silence of the room. Reina's defeated look confused me, but I figured it might be the lack of rest. Like a scolded dog, I forced myself to leave the corner.
"My deepest apologies, princess. It was so rude of me." I dropped to my knees by her feet. She didn't answer but the shame robbed me of the will to look at her.
"Stupid, blind man ..." Reina mumbled to herself.
Despite my feelings, I lifted my head to look at her highborn face, which expressed the unfamiliar lack of emotion, somewhat arrogant she looked, as she peered down at me. Reina confused me even more, but I was in no place to question her.
"Help me, please, prepare for the night, Kaiya."
I rushed up to her, pushing all the turmoil of feelings in the back of my mind. I still left the pain in my heart, but I had grown to cope with my life.
I gave Reina the silky night robe in the color of pale pink and helped to free her from the red dress that contrasted every shade in the room. The few golden pins were placed in a small ornated box, where other pieces gorged the eyes of my envious admiration for the delicate craft. I admired her black hair as it cascaded down her back. She was so pure and powerful - to me, to my country.
Somehow the combing of her hair relaxed me, and I had a feeling she liked it too. Reina's breathing was barely audible in the quiet room. She gazed at the darkening sky through the window, deep in thoughts.
After some time she broke the silence with her hushed words.
"Do you think he is a bad man?"
A lump formed in my throat. Surprised, I struggled to say my true feelings.
"I am in no place to express my opinions, princess."
"But it is what I am asking you." Her tone was direct.
"I ... I think ... he is a good man to those he loves."
"Do you think, he could love you?"
The comb fell out of my hands. How could my princess ask such a thing? Was it some game? I noticed my hands trembling just thinking about Arian.
"Answer me."
"I would never dream of such a thing. We are from different worlds, upbringing and besides, he has already expressed his feelings about me, which I am sure you know of, my princess."
"Oh dear, you know nothing of yourself ..." She seemed to say to herself again.
For a second I pondered about her words in my head, but I wanted her to know, I would never look at him that way.
"I am aware of my place, princess. Do not worry about me."
"How can I not ..."