18

I shut my lips tight, but I wished to see Reina's prowess, her unusual talents. Arian's presence meant I would not be able to experience the sight of the princess's abilities, who probably needed no guardian to protect herself. When we would be alone, I would grant her the freedom to roam our fields on a horseback.

"Our city is not the best place for intensive outdoor activities, but back in our summer house, you could ride as far as the horizon, my dear."

"It sounds interesting. I am sure we will have time to explore your land more, but for the time being, I am intrigued to see the city itself."

Reina seemed to be more bubbly than minutes ago, more relaxed and not so strict with the polite facade. I might have cracked her tough shell a little bit. I wanted her to feel safe here and not so concerned about keeping up the royal appearance. I wondered, how much she was able to do at home? Could she make friends or form close relationships with other men?

A silly thought. I forgot that such expression would be looked down upon, wouldn't it? From what I gathered on the first night, Reina didn't seem to be interested in me unless I proposed. Wasn't she concerned about feelings, love, and deep connections with a significant other? I could not imagine living with a spouse in a cold-hearted relationship. Maybe she was different?

"You must have many suitors in your homeland."

"I do, but my parents are quite picky. Not everyone is fit to stand by my side."

"What don't they like? Maybe I could stand above them all in my characteristics." I let out a small laugh.

"I don't know particular requirements, but I believe they don't want to bring into the family anyone who considers gaining power from it."

"Aren't you longing for someone to be in your life?"

"No. I trust my parents. They know better."

"And what if you don't fancy the chosen one?"

"That kind of thought had not crossed my mind."

"So you haven't loved anybody?"

Her slightly cheerful expression had vanished, but she didn't look upset or sad, more like unbothered. For some reason, her lack of ambition disappointed me. I could see her devotion to her country and her parents, but could it be she had no desire to love anybody?

Was I just an empty place in her heart? Could I evoke any romantic feeling within her? For no reason, the idea hurt me.

"No." The princess answered coldly.

"And what about you, Arian? Women must swarm around you."

Before, Arian chewed his breakfast nonchalantly, deep in his world, blocking our uninteresting conversation out of his occupied mind. His eyes lifted. Each time his mannerism made me flinch inwards as if every time he looked, a sudden punch would follow.

"I haven't noticed, and I am not interested in some power-hungry witches."

"So ... you don't like women?"

"I didn't say that."

Arian shut down again, fully immersed in the food before him.

Could it be the cultural difference? It was strange to meet people who weren't interested in love at all or maybe both of them didn't like to share their feelings with the world.

"What about you, Prince Richard? You don't seem to be a married man either."

I scuffed. I wasn't expecting her to be interested in my private life as she had been so formal. She awaited my answer with a curious look.

"I am too young for that."

Somehow I didn't feel comfortable sharing my adventures with all the girls and maids. What would she think of me? Maybe Reina had similar secrets, she just didn't want me to know?

It would truly disappoint me if so.

"Not so much younger than myself." Reina's face bloomed into a mischievous smile.

She was formal and polite, but she knew how to pull my heartstrings. I didn't want to believe she was oblivious to the intricate games between men and women.

We quickly finished our breakfast. Arian wasn't speaking much, and I was conflicted, wanting to know more about him, but at the same time trying to keep my distance from this dangerous-looking foreigner. 

Reina, with impatient steps, walked over to the window, where one could see the garden beneath, but over the lower roofs, a vast scenery of the city might have intrigued her. For me, it had grown boring. No person offered new exciting emotions, I have learned all the faces of the beautiful residents. Nowadays, our countryside home drew me closer to our family roots and beginnings. 

"I see you want to explore the city. We could ask to help you prepare for a walk if you don't mind."

"I would be more than grateful, Richard."

Reina's face bloomed again. That's what I liked to see. See her true nature, and help her break out of the strict rules she was keeping herself in.

"Though, first I need to ask Arian for permission."

Permission? From her guard?

Reina walked back to the table, where Arian continued to savor the lingering taste of breakfast. She asked him in a hushed voice, I could barely make out the individual words. His eyebrows lowered over his pale gaze. Arian didn't seem to be happy about her inquiry. I walked closer as if silently asking for permission. He looked me up and down and then turned his attention back to the princess.

"Are you going alone?"

"No. I will take some of my men, and probably, prince Richard will have a few of his guardians accompanying him as well. I will be fine and safe. You could stay home. Take a rest for once."

Arian's voice held a gentler tone when talking to Reina. Quite opposite of what his expressions were with everybody else. He cared for her in some way. Was it his guard duty? Respect for the princess? I could only guess.

He nodded, watching Reina intently from his seat as she towered over his form. 

"Have a great time! Have fun exploring my castle." I tried to brush off the negative impressions about him as I flashed my usual smile.

"I will have a great time, for sure."