20

Arian expressed the same sentiment he had told me many times before, but I, to this day, couldn't see the connection or a reason why he hunted the Huang family and what I had to do with it. I had heard rumors around the village and the town about how their families became rivals in a constant struggle for power and wealth. Today the outcome was clear, the Huangs had gone silent, but they were far from extinct. Behind the scenes, they silently tried to rebuild their influence.

"You pretend to be schooled, well mannered, but know nothing about the people and the history of our land. You should be ashamed of not knowing the most distinctive characteristic of the Huang lineage - the blue eyes. The same eyes you possess." He squeezed his palm tighter as the anger returned to haunt his mind.

How could it be? Maybe I was an unlucky exception, born at the wrong time and place? My eyes could be a random coincidence. 

Above all, how could I be so ignorant to let pass the information about the most influential families in the area? When I first saw Arian, I was oblivious to who he was. Only a foggy memory reminded me of his existence and how people admired his gift. No one had told me about him and the Huang. Not even the teacher Tuan ever explained what happened in the castle, though I had asked many times. Could it be my fault?

"What do I have to do with them? Except for my eyes. What reason do you have to target me? I have never met a Huang or been close to them."

"Don't lie to me!" Arian said through clenched teeth. "I know their games. I know how much they want to regain control. How many spies and assassins have they sent? I have lost count of their dead bodies, but I will never forget their eyes and how all of you look. I can see their blood in you."

How could he be so judging? I had explained myself many times. I was not a Huang.

"Just because I look like them doesn't mean I am one of them. Target the assassins and spies, not the farmers who had never known your rich men's struggles. Let me live in peace." I kept my voice low, avoiding angering Arian more.

"YOUR struggles mean nothing. What I have gone through has been far worse, something you wouldn't be able to imagine. I lost my brother to them, and my life will never be the same. Who's fault is that? Huangs started it and I will finish this war."

To this point, Arian had successfully contained himself, keeping his upset nature under control, but by each passing minute, my arm hurt more. I tried to pull away but to no avail. He wanted to make sure I experienced his wrath.

He had a brother, another fact I had no clue about, but I couldn't sympathize with him as the turmoil of my anxiousness was stronger. I didn't know how much longer I would be able to stay in his presence. Arian struggled to control himself. His arm and shoulders became rigid with the tension, and with all my strength, I tried to keep my distance, though I couldn't leave.

One tear rolled down my cheek and then another. I couldn't take my eyes away from Arian's as if he had cast a spell more powerful than my will. There was no other emotion in his orbs except hatred.

"Let me go!" I pleaded over my silent tears.

"Do you think your crying will achieve anything? I have grown immune to the pathetic pleads of your people."

Without a warning, Arian stood up and yanked me towards his taller form. In a process, the delicate porcelain cup fell on the floor, shattering into multiple pieces, but none of us gave a second glance. He spun me around, grabbed my other arm, and locked them over my chest. His anger-filled breath burned the skin on my neck, and he pressed me harder against his heaving body.

"Stop." I managed to let out a gasp.

He said nothing. I waited for this deafening heaving to end until his low voice rumbled through my bones.

"I will never stop."

My arms were free, but not my body. Arian's hand snaked around my waist, constricting me, suffocating me. The other one moved up, fingers grasping my neck. I could barely breathe, but when he clutched my throat tighter, the air seemed to disappear. Arian's intentions became clear. There no longer was a question of his feelings towards me. He wanted me dead. 

In desperation, I clawed at his hand that held my jaw up. The longer he choked me, the more I lost power in my limbs. Arian was strong, stronger than anyone I had known in my life. A mere peasant with malnourished flesh couldn't stand a chance against his lifelong trained body and muscles. At this point, only a miracle could save my life. I had not witnessed such in my life yet.

"My breath, my hands, my beating heart will be the last thing you hear in your pathetic life, Kaiya. Take this memory to your grave."

Somehow it was true. Over the venom-filled words and the ragged breathing, I could feel Arian's heart beating twice the speed. Was it exciting to see my end?

"What is happening here?"

Arian's hold on me loosened, but he didn't let go of me yet. Not his arm around my waist, nor the one constricting my neck, but I could gulp air, at last. 

"Let me go!" I coughed out and continued to pry his hand off once again.

The silence dragged between the two, but I didn't have the brain power to grasp, who the other person was. I was sure it was a man.

When the restrains vanished, I fell to my knees and managed to secure my descent on my hands. The air seemed to burn my lungs, but slowly, I regained my consciousness fully. Wasting no time on my unstable limbs, I stumbled away from my tormentor. On the way to the door, a tall and dark figure had saved my life, but my vision was far from clear. The most important task was getting away from Arian as fast as possible. 

I had to hide.