7

Richard's POV

I opened my eyes as the strong light breached through the panes of the window. A silhouette in front of it made my heart flutter. A beautiful woman with an hourglass figure taunted me, and her light giggle made me crack a smile. 

"Good morning, your highness." She was amused.

"With you, every morning is good."

The maid smiled back, her youthful face illuminated by the sun. She held onto the heavy curtains for some time, later tucking them aside, to let the light of usually gloomy days inside as much as possible. My clothing was prepared on the edge of the bed and not far behind - a bowl with warm water and a fluffy towel.

"So nice of you. You have prepared everything. All I need is a plate with filling breakfast."

"I would have delivered your meal too, but the queen wanted you by the table this morning."

"Ahh! My mom can't spend a day without me, it seems." A light laugh escaped my lips.

"It is because the majesty loves you. Many would give up the world to have such caring parents."

"I am not complaining."

As I washed my face, the young woman had taken a towel, and I didn't need to blink as it found its place in my palms. Everything was in my arm's reach. Everything I wanted, came with no effort. I had the power no other man had in this country. It seemed they almost worshiped me - the maid too.

I liked it. I wanted to be everything the life intended for me - be the best ruler of Hadria. To do a better job than my father. To let him live a life he had wanted for so long, that is, to grow old together with my mom.

When I picked up the white shirt, the maid scurried towards the door, leaving her work behind.

"Don't leave. I don't mind if you look."

"Nonetheless, a prince should have his privacy."

She closed the door quietly, leaving the ghostly remnants of her giggle, and the sight of her rosy cheeks entertained my bored mind.

A house this morning lacked the chatter, and I felt like I was all alone in these walls. My maid had vanished, and no other beauty was in sight. I pulled my black strands of hair away from my eyes as I walked towards the dining room to meet my mother. On the walls, countless paintings reminded me of my heritage. We shared oddly similar traits with the men of the bloodline I was born in - fair skin with coal-black hair, smooth as silk and glistening in the bright light like the shine of a raven's feathers. But none before possessed the mark of the kings - my father and I was born with eyes pale as pearls.

People seemed to be attracted to the magical beauty of this mark. What would my life be if I was normal? 

On the other hand, I wouldn't change myself, feeling content with what I was born with.

Upon entering the room, I noticed my mother and father sitting by the table and quietly conversing. Their faces held no usual happiness, but my mother's features were always soft - she could calm the storm. My father - I could see him this relaxed only in her presence.

"Richard! Glad you have come." Her face brightened instantly. "Sit down. I have some news to tell you."

Dad watched me silently, frowning, hiding his eyes under the black eyebrows.

"What is bothering you again?"I asked.

"We will have to go back to the capital."

"So soon? I was hoping to spend more time here."

"Me too, but ... our duty calls." He sighed. My mother observed him with pity.

"I have hardly met any of the nobles here. They probably don't remember how I look anymore. I was hoping to meet Alice, Charlotte, Emily ..."

"You mean, all the girls in town, right?"

"What's wrong with that?"I asked my mom, whose eyes didn't want to waver away from mine.

"You should start taking things seriously. If you want to be the best, then at this age you should think of forming your family, find a wife, maybe?"

"What about dad? He married many years later. I have so much time to find the one."

"Well, we didn't want to talk about your love life. We need to go back because an important guest will be arriving soon. This person is representing the far country of Sariahn, and as you always want to be in the front picture, you will take the responsibility to welcome them."

"When will this person be arriving?"

"We are expecting the next week. Before that, everything needs to be prepared."

"I hope it will be someone interesting."

A maid interrupted our conversation, bringing light breakfast pastries and berries from the garden. Freshly baked, the aroma teased our hunger. My mom loved them the most. She picked some off the plate before a servant could place the rest on the table.

I glanced at the young lady. Her eyes were beautiful green with big, dark lashes. When our eyes met, her cheeks flushed with red taint.

"Thank you. What is your name?" I couldn't help but grin, amused by her slight timidness.

Before she could mutter a word or I was given a chance to say something more, I received a quick smack on my hand.

"Richard! Watch your manners!" My mom didn't look pleased.

I glanced at her apologetically before taking the last glance at the servant girl. I will miss her.

"Thea, don't be so harsh on him." My father mumbled. 

"I don't like how he treats all these girls. Promising them something, even though nothing will ever happen."