4

The man frowned, his features reminding me of the last encounter. For a while, we both stared at each other in silence, lost for words. 

Unable to stomach the intensity of his unnatural orbs, I averted my gaze on the tray with food. I feared his reaction and deep in my heart, I hoped he hadn't recognized me, my rude behavior previously.

"What are you doing here?"

My eyes shot up unwillingly, but while I dwelled in my own world, he had reached up to his sword, and now the tip of the blade faced my nose.

The blood in my veins run cold, the sight of the weapon shook my heart, and more than before, I couldn't say a word.

"Answer me! Why are you here?" The nobleman gritted his teeth.

I swallowed hard, taking up the courage to speak. With a shaking breath, the sound of my voice seemed unrecognizable.

"I ... I am working here ..."

My life flashed before my eyes. If I wouldn't have dodged the blade, the beautiful artwork on the wall would see the red splatters, reminding people of the gruesome murder. I was unable to understand, why, so suddenly, he wished for my life to end? The rage in his eyes terrified me.

I had fallen over the food, on the matted floor, scurrying, to get further away from this crazy man. Now he towered above with a sword raised, it glistened, matching the intent in its holder's eyes.

"Huang family! I can't decipher ... are they so brave or dumb? I thought, your line of blood has been weeded out of existence."

"W ... what? I don't understand what you are talking about ..." I mumbled in silence.

"Weren't you all supposed to be dead? Never mind, I will make sure you are."

I managed to escape the first strike, crawling into the corner, but I couldn't foresee, how I would be able to avoid the next one. It seemed, my heart wanted to break free, beating fast, savoring the last moments before the end. Confused, with streams of tears over my cheeks, I looked into his godly eyes, terrified to the core, unable to comprehend, how such a being could harbor so much hate for me - a person never met before.

"What is this screaming about? What is going on here?" The familiar voice entered the space. "Kaiya! Kaiya?"

I wanted to get free, flee. The air in the room had become stagnant and thick. I no longer cared about injury, the only goal was to live another day. The lady of the house had taken the man's attention, and at that moment, I run past them, nevertheless, I felt the nobleman's eyes on me burning with hatred. 

Exiting the dining areas, I scurried inside the kitchen, trying to collect my thoughts on what to do next. Was I still alive? 

I couldn't think too much when the owner of the eatery had found me, her face showing utter disbelief, with a deep frown, she set her eyes on my trembling form.

"What did you do? Do you know, how much you have damaged the reputation of my business? Do you even comprehend who he was?"

"I did nothing. I did nothing wrong. I ... I don't know myself why he suddenly attacked?"

"I don't want to hear your excuses. Leave this place, now!"

That's what I wanted to do. Leaving and never look back, knowing this man would return, as the lady said, he was a regular visitor.

"Leave! Before he comes here looking for you."

"My deepest apologies! I never wanted to cause trouble." I bowed as low as I could and without taking another second, I escaped the suffocating walls. The neverending stream of tears clouded my vision, I couldn't stop them.

They watched me, people of the city. No one cared what happened. I didn't mind their lack of intervenience. I wished to return home, forget everything and never see the eyes of that man ... Arian.

Why did he act this way? Did I offend him on the day before? He mentioned the Huang family, he talked of my blood. Once they were very influential, now they have gone silent, not going around the city announcing their presence, but they hold power and enormous wealth, rivaling the king even up to this day.

What I have to do with them? I was only a low peasant, since birth, never known the life of those nobles.

But one trait about me was not normal, I recognized that difference in my eyes.

I hid behind the corners of the building while taking the most secretive route back to my home and on every step watching my back. The drumming in my chest had ceased a bit, but I could not rest and feel safe until I reached the solitary location of my house.

The lonely road was silent, no soul in sight. I fastened my steps, and my heart picked up its speed again. The feeling in my gut suggested being watchful, that my life still hung in a thin line. Maybe after today, I would never see the opportunities of the hustling city. Arian lived there, and with him around, the dreams of prosperous life had vanished.

Something made me halt on the first steps of my home. Goosebumps rose on my neck, and I shivered with fright. I looked back, where the edge of the forest met the drying sea of grass. A figure stood in the middle of the road - dark, somehow too familiar. 

A scream from my lungs couldn't escape, the ground under my feet seemed unstable. I run inside and I kept him in my sight till the very moment I closed my doors. 

"I don't want to die ... I don't want to die ..." I chanted silently, dropping on my knees exhausted. 

I waited and waited till the moment Arian would come and slash open the door along with me, but long minutes passed, maybe half an hour and I was met with the silent sound of a breeze outside.

That night I slept in a shed, still expecting him to come. 

In reality, I didn't sleep, my eyes peeled to the stars in the night sky.