17

Richard's POV

Could my morning be any better? I had waited all night to lay my eyes on Reina, and now she stood in the bright morning light. Her pale skin glossed under the rays of the sun. A smile crept on my face, knowing I would have an adventurous day. Only her expression worried me. Reina's politely formal smile had vanished since her maid left the room. Her eyes lingered at the empty doorway, where Kaiya stood timid. 

I couldn't grasp the reason for her worried mind. Was I blind to notice something? How could I make her happy again while residing in my place? It was important to leave a good impression on her and all the companions she had brought along. Even to her always grumpy guardian. 

His mannerisms were nothing new to me. My father acted the same way sometimes, but I knew he never meant to harm anyone. As long as he didn't intervene too much in our affairs, I was willing to brush his negative presence away. Strangely his gaze was set on the same doorway. 

"You are letting her free-run too much. Her discipline is lacking. She will turn on you someday ... when your guard is down." Arian rumbled under the fingers he supported his chin with. 

"I know what I am doing." Reina snapped back, but her voice and tone held her characteristic grace. "Shall we eat?" She turned to me, completely changing her demeanor and returning the smile I awaited.

"Sure thing, my princess." My heart warmed up.

I noticed her confusion as she couldn't decide what to eat or take a bite out of. Reina eyed the sugar-glazed pastries in front of her, the small quail eggs dotted in their usual pattern or variety of colorful plums that invited the hungry eyes. I wondered, did our meals remind her of her home, or was our food something she had never experienced?

"Do you need any help to choose?" 

The thought of her admirable confusion entertained me. I could barely hold my chuckle.

"For a starter, I could recommend a herbal tea - peppermint, camomile, linden flower tea -  together with a scone and the finest butter."

"Thank you so much. It is truly overwhelming. What would I do without your help?" Reina glanced at me. This time her eyes expressed her true feelings.

I gestured for a maid to fill her cup with a linden flower tea and asked her to pass a pastry from the stacked-up mini-mountain decorating the table. Even I could smell the freshly baked dough as it passed my nose. Today I could offer her red currant jelly as a topping for her warm scones.

Her guardian followed each move of my maid with a frown. I couldn't forget about him. Though less important, Reina would probably judge me for treating him differently. One swift motion with my hand was enough for a maid to know.

"I can help myself." Arian expressed in a low voice.

"Cold, as I expected." Our eyes met.

It was strange to see someone else with a trait that was supposed to be the rarest among the people. I had looked into those eyes many times, throughout the years as I was brought up by my father, but Arian's held a different gleam, something more sinister or perhaps an emotion more deeply rooted, which I could not understand.

"Do you have a problem?"

"No. No. I was talking about my tea. Miranda!" I waived at a maid. "Pour me a fresh one. This one is cold."

Every passing second, Arian's presence loomed over me more and more making me uncomfortable. I didn't want to be on this man's bad side. His form was bigger and I had a feeling, that under his robes was hiding a body with pure muscle. I was in no condition to stand against him. Most importantly, I would never have a chance to get closer to princess Reina.

I could feel my cheeks heat up, as Reina watched me from afar with an amused look. She tried to hide her smile, but her eyes deceived her. No girl had swirled up my heart before, but she ... Reina had some mysterious allure. I felt like a fool dancing along her, trying to catch glimpses of her attention. I wanted all of it.

I had to know more about her, know the reason why she felt so different.

"May I ask? What activities do you prefer in your free time?"

"I like poetry, appreciating art, sewing, spending time outdoors, if I can afford it."

She seemed to be interested in everything every other girl preferred, but I knew she was not telling me something. That secret is what draws me near her.

"And ...?"

"What? Do you expect me to like anything else? I am a lady, Prince Richard."

Reina didn't seem to be offended, which I would expect from any other woman. Rather, her eyes lit up as if trying to contain a secret she wished to share with the world.

"My parents would be disappointed if I told you." She glanced a few times at Arian, who didn't seem to be bothered.

"Tell me. I will keep it a secret."

"Uhmm ... riding ... archery ... combat ..." Reina trailed off.

Suddenly Arian shifted in his seat and I felt his burning gaze being directed at Reina. She didn't seem to be intimidated by him, but rather looked like a dog ready to be scolded. 

Somehow I managed to stay in my seat. From all the things I imagined, I didn't expect her to be interested in combat - the furthest thing fit for a lady. 

"Forget what I was saying. It was just a joke."

"Don't be ashamed. It is admirable. There are not a lot of women who can do that, let alone have access to such activities."

"Don't expect I will let you see her fight."

Now, Arian glared at me. I didn't want to admit it, but he truly seemed to be a man to stay away from. He was very successful in intimidating me.