9

I gripped the armrests as my eyes stayed pealed to the large door leading inside the throne room. The deafening silence of them tortured me. I have never been so impatient and restless. I knew they were here. 

"Mom ... Where are they?" I asked without looking at her. 

"It doesn't seem like you, Richard. Where is your patience? I can't believe Edmund is calmer than you."

"It is just excitement. I am not mad."

I heard her silent, amusement-filled chuckle.

Today my mother wore a crown - delicate, with shapes of weaving flowers and crystal clear gemstones. The dress resembled the colors of rosy gold. She looked youthful and happy.

Father and I carried the coal-black suits with golden buttons, the rims of our attire held sewn-in ornaments of the same color, and a snow-white shirt tightly enclosed our neck.

Then the door suddenly squeaked and came open with the burden of my anxiousness - heavy, still taking away the long-awaited prize.

The man pushing them looked up to me. The guards opened them to the fullest, and behind I saw a caravan of foreign faces but not enough to see the main guest themselves.

He slightly bowed and announced: "Your highness, the representative - princess of Sariahn - has arrived and granted us with her presence."

When he stepped away, a couple of guards waltzed forward, and behind I finally saw ... the princess. 

Her head was low. I noticed the blackness of her hair - darker than mine, skin paler than that of my mom's, and dress redder than roses. It followed her behind like a river of blood, occasionally accented with golden patterns. She was very wealthy as the precious metal flaunted her riches. With tiny steps, she neared and neared, and it felt like taking forever to reach me, and when she finally did, I couldn't believe her actions.

I had taken my stance, but under my gaze, her delicate form had dropped to her knees with her head low, and I could barely take in her exotic features.

"May I introduce myself? I am the princess of a country called Sariahn, and my name is Reina."

After her words, she lifted her head, and her eyes reached mine. I was taken aback. Reina's outer appearance was elegant, delicate. Two, almost black orbs observed me, with a little smile or an amusement in them. Was a spell cast upon me? She was more than exotic in my eyes.

"I ... I am prince Richard ... Wiltshire." I smiled and reached to her with my hand. 

She looked surprised for a moment as her eyes were fixated on my palm. Did I do something wrong? Did I offend her in some way?

"Uhmm ... Your highness. You don't need to bow down so low for me." I smiled and gestured for her to take my hand and make her stand up.

Princesse's red lips lifted in a shy smile. Reina's hand took the half size of my palm. She oozed the foreign manners. I could see myself leaving behind every beauty in my country just for her.

"That will be enough." A stranger's voice drew me out of a daze.

I had not paid attention to any other face - Reina's beauty had captured my interest, but the one who spoke was a man standing behind her. Unwillingly, the woman's hand slipped out of my grasp - the utter surprise most likely had changed my expression. 

Only me and my father possessed the mark of the kings. I had not heard of any other being harboring the eyes of the chosen. 

The man was the same race, with the darkest hair, thick, almost angry-looking eyebrows rested upon the same eyes like those of our family, but instead of pearly white, his orbs held a tint of ghostly blue.

"Excuse me? Who might be you?" I tried to be calm and not rush with my actions, despite feeling somewhat disrespected.

Reina glanced at the tall man, whose strongly built form under the armor could intimidate any person. They shared an unworded conversation, and then her attention came back to me.

"My apologies. I did not introduce my guardian.  Arian."

The new face did not bow the same way as the princess nor expressed any other form of greeting.  He acknowledged me with a small nod, but his unnatural eyes didn't sway from my figure. 

"It is a pleasure of meeting you all, and I hope your journey was without incidents." I looked at my parents, who observed me with confidence. "May I introduce my parents - king and queen of Hadria - Edmund and Thea Wiltshire." I cracked a smile hoping to ease the tension between the three of us.

Reina was ready to bow again, but I stopped her, making her understand that a smaller, less elaborate greeting was enough. 

"Our journey was not without its surprises, but the beauty of your country has been more than a delight to experience, and I hope to see a lot more of your culture in the future." Reina's voice sounded like a song. My heart fluttered.

"You all must be hungry after the long road to Hadria. I think we could quit formalities and enjoy our time in a more casual atmosphere by the dinner?" My father said. He didn't like gatherings, especially so official as it was today.

The man carefully watched me throughout our conversations, making me feel uneasy and a little bit on edge. Who was he? Just a guardian of our princess? So high of himself and giving the feeling of arrogance as if he was someone important. Why would he guard her so much? I barely talked to Reina, and he became defensive? I couldn't understand his reasons.

Strange to think, that we had the same features. 

His eyes intrigued me the most.