22

Reina's POV

What had I done?

My excitement and eagerness to see the city of Agra had brought Kaiya to the brink of death. Taken over by the wish to see a new culture, smell the food and meet the various inhabitants of this country took my sense of duty away from more important matters. I had to keep her safe at all times. What did I do? With my thoughts, I couldn't soothe the persistent throbbing in my heart. Even the young prince, with all his flattering and charming advances before, didn't have the power to clear the guilt I felt.

I assured her that through the remaining time spent in this country, I would guarantee her a safe living. Arian would not touch Kaiya again. I doubt my dear guardian would resist my orders. Arian's heart was too soft for me, my will, and the happiness I desired, which was nothing more than to serve my family and country of Sariahn.

The fragrant air of wildflowers lingered around me, and the calmness flooded my being the same way, but the thoughts of Arian's wrongdoings didn't leave my mind. At times of rage, I barely recognized my beloved. I had known him all my life. Arian always protected me, especially when the dangerous times with the Huang loomed over our reign. His heart beat in the right place, but the blind hatred had poisoned him. Now, Arian's soul had become mudded.

The corridor in front of my room didn't harbor any living soul. The late hours had brought everyone to their beds, but before I took a rest, I had to see him. 

I couldn't help but feel angry. Arian never acted this way, or was I unaware of it before?

I took a deep breath before lifting my hand to knock on his door. Some unknown force stopped me for a second, but if I didn't act now, the consequences could be more severe in the future. I suppressed the nagging urge and knocked three times, but gently enough to not disturb others sleeping in the nearby rooms.

For some reason, the door seemed louder than I expected when it creaked open. A naked back of a young lady obscured the room and the bed where I should have seen Arian. The top part of her dress hung loosely around her waist while at the same time, with her hands close, she shielded the front with a little bit of fabric. It was a maid. I recognized the grey and plain fabric that still hung onto her form. Hearing me enter the room, she glanced at me with her dark eyes. Her complexion suggested she came from a lower class.

Behind the maiden, I spotted Arian casually lounging on the edge of the bed, still seated. 

I didn't know what to say. Somehow the thoughts had left my mind. The timid look on the maid's face and the fierce expression Arian glared with stunned my usually unfazed nature.

The heat rose to my cheeks. 

"Uhm ... I ... want to talk to you when you are done." I was surprised to hear myself stutter.

I took the last look at the maid and spun around, leaving and closing the door.

How could he do this? At a time like this? Didn't he have any remorse?

It might be that I didn't know him so well. I had forgotten he had killed before and not only one person. Arian had closed his heart. Since Jin lost his life, he succumbed to the powerful pull of his darkest emotions. I was glad Arian held me dear more strongly than ever. What would I do without his care and protectiveness? Despite enjoying my guardian's company, I wished he shared that little bit of love with someone else.

I hoped the maid knew what she was doing. Arian's pride meant he would not bat an eye again in her direction. The girl didn't have enough wisdom to differentiate between the man who would keep her or discard her shamefully. Arian never cared about women or their feelings. I never saw him intimate with any noble lady, but who I was to know what he did in his free time? He entertained himself with lesser fortunate women of the town, I heard.

Cautious to the bone, the man tried to protect himself from harm and greed. Granted the highest power, not only one beauty had their eyes for him, but he pretended to be blind. Ironic, considering the lack of color in his unnatural eyes as if it was a curse to see the world dull and grey. If he could open his heart to the beauty life had to offer sometimes. I waited for the day he saw the opportunity in front of his icy gaze.

Faint footsteps echoed at the end of the corridor where lights had dimmed to leave the part of the castle in shrowded secrecy. A tall man dressed in a dark robe peered into the endless passageway which led to other rooms. Then a light gleam flashed across his face, and I recognized the silhouette. I bowed slightly, showing my utmost respect and apology.

"Is everything alright, princess? Do you need my assistance?" Softly echoed the king's voice.

"No worries. I have sorted out my troubles. My sincere apologies for the incident. I assure you, my guardian didn't mean to cause harm to anyone."

"I will believe your word." King Edmund's voice didn't express the same emotion. Before turning to leave, he mumbled in the dusky-lit hallway. "For some, our inheritance is a blessing for others - a curse. A person needs to learn how to coexist with it."