2

KAIYA's POV

The few coins in my palm couldn't buy a day's worth of rice. My stomach growled as I watched the freshly steamed meals being served to the customers at the marketplace. I envied the rich who never experienced hunger in their lives. Could I share their privilege someday?

The aroma didn't help me to shift my thoughts elsewhere and I decided to look for something that would make me go through the day at least. A small task or a job, where I could earn enough or feed myself and not succumb to weakness and fatigue.

Life on my farm had been hard this year. The crops have failed as rains had been due for a long month. I could barely sell a thing or feed myself of what had managed to grow. For one, I was grateful, that my studies required no fees. Still, a big mystery to me, where my parents managed to secure such luxury for a lowly peasant?

While wandering through the narrower streets, I spotted the neatly tied food container ... unattended on a bench outside the small inn. A mischievous thought sneaked in my mind, that maybe I could quietly take a box and leave without anyone noticing? There was no soul in sight and the hunger urged me to take the risky step.

As soon as my hands landed on the object, voices of men emerged from within the building. It was too late to leave the box when one of them noticed me. They were city patrolling guards. My heart jumped inside of me and with a lightning reflex, I spun and run behind the building, through the same empty streets, over the rubble, and further behind each upcoming turn. They shouted behind, closing in, but I was not ready to give up, my livelihood depended on the stolen food.

Exhausted and heaving, I struggled to take a breath. How much further I had to run? It was just cheap food, hardly a crime to be chased for to the ends of the world.

On the last corner, I hit a rock-hard wall or I thought it was. In the haste, I had no time to inspect the person who blocked my way.

"I am sorry!" My voice could barely make a sound.

I regained my balance and stepped forward to escape, but the iron-hard grip latched on my upper arm, making the box fall on the dirt path.

"What an insolence. Shouldn't you apologize for running into me?"

I looked up at the tall man. He wore black armor with intricately weaved chainmail on his chest, the best quality of leather and silk robes masked his fair skin underneath. The raven black hair reflected the sunshine. I backed off when my eyes reached his. Under the thick, black eyebrows he possessed something I had never seen before in my life.

His eyes lacked the vibrant color of a regular human. The irides and pupils were almost white with barely noticeable traces of blue. With deeply furrowed brows, he looked down at me, not letting go of my hand witch, by every passing minute, hurt more as the man strengthened the grip.

"I ... I am sorry!" I bowed my head and expected I would be able to go.

"On your knees!" Boomed his arrogant voice.

I looked back over my shoulder to spot the guards, but they were not in sight. His grip grew unbearably painful and with hesitation, I succumbed to his order.

"My apologies!"

No longer I could look him in the eyes. So judging, so arrogant and unpleasant I felt under his gaze. The silence dragged forever, I wanted to leave. I felt him stare at me as if he was looking for something. His form came down to my level and with a forceful pull on my jaw, he had made me look in his unnatural orbs again. I shuddered as the frown had formed deeper ridges on his forehead. What did he want?

Through the corner of my eye, I caught the sight of emerging guards. They looked around and when they saw me, my heart nearly jumped out of my throat. I didn't look again at the nobleman, nor took a second glance at the guards, but shot up and bolted past the obstacle. The box with food wasn't left behind. I didn't look back and soon the voices faded.

My fast-paced steps carried me home. I fantasized about the food and how happy I would be with my stomach filled for tonight and the good sleep after today's ordeals. I enjoyed the quiet nature near my house, far, far away from the buzzing city. The clouds over the horizon colored violet and fiery red, the wind was nonexistent and the lonely road pulled me even closer to the little wooden shelter.

With a relieving sigh, I let my body rest on the bench, removed the cloth from the box, and opened it. My mouth watered, seeing rice, vegetables, and some sliced meat glazed in a delicious sauce. The warmth had long gone, but for a hungry girl, such a minute inconvenience was not as troublesome.

"It was worth the run!" I said as I munched through the contents with a smile in my eyes.

Later that night, I couldn't make myself relax. Something about today's encounter with that nobleman troubled my mind. I thought he was ... Definitely a highborn, maybe somebody from a military background? ... but his eyes ... so unreal ... I thought I was the only one with odd eye color. Ocean blue was uncommon among our race. It always seemed I didn't belong. Only the nobility had a line of a similar trait.

I shot up off my bedding, finally realizing his identity. How could I be so rude? It was Arian. I have heard only rumors, as people talked of his prowess and about the strange eyes gifted by gods. How could I have known never seeing him in real life?

I hoped I won't get in trouble.