21

I pushed myself not to look back. Each step lacked the usual power, the aftermath of suffocation held onto my body and limbs, and my mind raced, tormenting me with deathly thoughts. I had never been so close to death. Compared to what I experienced, starvation seemed a much calmer way to go. The lack of food never made my heart race. The incident with Arian tried to rob the last beats of my heart.

To my luck, the halls didn't harbor a single soul. The maids had finished their jobs, and the doors stayed locked. I hoped the entrance to our room and my spacious closet longed for my return. Would it be safe to hide there? I didn't care because it was the only place where Reina had a chance to protect me.

Such disrespect for my princess. It was not her job to stay by my side and watch Arian, but I didn't know whom else to ask for protection. I had no one except Reina.

My body fell on the door, and I grasped for a handle. I let out a sigh when the handle turned to welcome me inside. Instinctively I turned it shut from the other side and, clouded by fear, stood on the spot for a couple of minutes, listening to the steps I would grow to remember.

Glad to hear silence, my body fell on the soft edge of the bed. The puffy duvet gave a welcoming comfort, and for a moment, I enjoyed the few seconds of sweet luxurious sensation which only dwelled in my deepest dreams.

I didn't want to cry. If I closed my eyes now, the tears could spill over my lap and most likely onto the expensive sheets that belonged to the family of Wiltshires. Nonetheless, my eyes stung, and my body wanted to get rid of this deep hurt. I questioned if I had the strength to stay with my princess to endure the pain, the constantly harsh treatment from Arian, and whom else? Who else lived in the castle hating a random worker resembling their most despised family?

Had my all life been a lie? Was I a daughter of my loved parents? If I had a relation to the Huang family, why did they let me live in starvation? They, most likely, didn't know of my existence otherwise. All seemed a big lie, but through my years of youth, I always questioned the reason for teacher Tuan's visits. The two people who brought me up as their child didn't have money to feed themselves, not to mention afford to educate their daughter with the most elite teacher in the city.

"What to do? What to do?" I placed my heavy head in my palms, trying to find some relief from the throbbing pain inside my heart.

I burst out in tears only to try and scavenge the droplets that fell on my knees. I shouldn't cry. I shouldn't. Arian would hear me and would find me. I scooped up and carried myself towards the smaller closet, where shelves and folded clothing emitted the fragrance of jasmine and sandalwood - a smell somehow more familiar than others, bringing the memories of home. Before kneeling and resting my body on the insignificantly modest bedding, I closed the door and made sure to lock it. 

My heart eased a bit. The closeness of the walls and the dim lighting gave the imagination of a safe borrow, where an animal could gladly take refuge. I caressed my upper arm in a soothing motion as if it would help to calm me. It did indeed. Soon I found myself succumbing to tiredness though I hardly fulfilled my duties today. 

I waited for my princess to come. I wanted to bask in her protective light - the light she gave me.

***

Loud banging jolted me up, taking me out of the sleepy daze I savored within the company of loneliness. In a few moments, my ears and other senses adjusted to the awakened state, and the knocking on my closet door seemed to become quieter as it had been all along. My anxious heart expected Arian. His voice didn't boom from the other side, but my lady inquired calmly. 

"Kaiya? Are you there? Is everything alright?"

I waited to hear if she was alone. I didn't want to look into Arian's pale eyes again.

"Kaiya!" Reina continued to call me in a soothing voice.

With trembling hands, I opened the door and observed the room from a tiny gap before letting in the sight of my princess. Her youthfull face radiated excitement and happiness. Cheeks, slightly rosy and puffed, suggested she had spent a great time with Prince Richard. I felt happy about her, but over the mask, her eyebrows hinted at the pitiful sentiment.

"I am glad you have come home, my princess." I tried to sound unaffected by anything.

"Come, Kaiya. Let me look at you. I am sorry for what that fool did to you."

Reina reached out to me with her hands. She wished to comfort me, but I felt reluctant to accept such a gesture from my highness. Nonetheless, deep inside, I needed her closeness. Unable to hold in the emotions, I burst out into tears. I felt ashamed. She didn't need to be concerned about my hardships. 

Her compassion for a low peasant was admirable. My reserved attitude didn't discourage her from embracing me. The hug expressed the utmost care and warmth I didn't expect from a noble lady. Not at least towards the lowest inhabitants of society. Could I push her back? Could I play my part by showing clear boundaries between our classes?

Reina held me strong, and I melted within her hands. For a long time, I hadn't felt a connection stronger than that to my princess, with the most precious of hearts.

"I will put him in his place. I promise."